Recall for 2020 Rocket 3 Rear Brake

Just had mine done yesterday, this is the 3rd time i have been in for rear brake issues, hope its the last, apparently they said there are some software changes as well as a bleed...lets see if it gets spongy again!!
How has it been since?

I'm feeling skeptical about the 'fix', since it sounds like a bleed, which the dealer has already done twice, and once they even drained it down completely, and replaced the brake fluid with (what they called) 'performance' brake fluid. It's still gone wrong since that, and it's to the point now where there is literally no rear brake at all - even if I engage hill hold assist, I can still just push the bike around, it does nothing.

Does anyone know what the 'fix' actually is, and whether or not the work would have been covered in swapping out the fluid? Because if it is, I'm sadly here to tell you, it won't work :-/

How has it been since?

I'm feeling skeptical about the 'fix', since it sounds like a bleed, which the dealer has already done twice, and once they even drained it down completely, and replaced the brake fluid with (what they called) 'performance' brake fluid. It's still gone wrong since that, and it's to the point now where there is literally no rear brake at all - even if I engage hill hold assist, I can still just push the bike around, it does nothing.

Does anyone know what the 'fix' actually is, and whether or not the work would have been covered in swapping out the fluid? Because if it is, I'm sadly here to tell you, it won't work :-/
Oh my, ignorance prevails high in the UK (prior to recall there were all sorts of 'fixes' that would not have worked)!

Mine has been absolutely fine since.... never lost rear brake in the first place, but since the procedure, the rear brrake is far more responsive, so there must have been some air in it.

It's not just a bleed.

Code:
extract:

To start the ABS System Bleed process:
1. Connect the diagnostic tool to the motorcycle and turn the ignition ON.
2. Navigate to ABS Diagnostics - Bleed System.
3. Click Start and follow the onscreen instructions.
The diagnostic tool will start a seven stage guided process. The seven stages are as follows:
1. Manual Bleed
2. Modulator Flush
3. Manual Bleed
4. Modulator Flush
5. Modulator Purge
6. Modulator Flush
7. Manual Bleed

The ABS has to be linked to their computer systems and actuated in a certain sequence to rid the system of the air for the new bleed procedure to work.

The dealers now have the updated software on their systems to carry this out since the recall (some adopted it quicker than others to be fair). When was yours last in for this problem? Before the recall or a long time after?

Draining down completey would not get all the air out, in fact may even introduce more if this revised procedure has not been carried out afterwards. I would wager they only did the 1. manual bleed and missed the 6 stages afterwards let alone perform the entire 7 step sequence twice ....through... ignorance!

There is no requirement for anything different than standard DOT 4.

1614006640076.png

1614006671744.png

1614006705444.png

1614006733924.png

Last edited:
To be fair, the ignorance is not entirely unjustified. No one knew wtf was causing it or how to fix it. At least the dealer (if not Triumph themselves!) were acknowledging the seriousness of the issue, and attempting to put it right for me.

I'm really pleased yours has been all good since the work has been done, but given that you never had much of a problem beforehand, it might not prove very much. How long have you had the bike, and roughly how many miles have you done? I'm guessing not much (like myself) given covid and lockdowns. I've had mine over a year now, but only managed about 1500 miles. In that time it's been in for bleeding of the brakes I think 3 times (one of which was the replacement of the brake fluid, at their suggestion). So since I was one of the first to get a Rocket, collecting it (the TFC) in mid Jan 2020, this is probably partly why I've had it fail so many times, and why the dealer was happy to attempt changing the fluid.

What's has been especially interesting for me, is that before we got about 3 months of continuous rain starting early November, I had ridden the bike, and found that the rear brake was once again getting rather ineffective - not terrible, but not good. I went to ride the bike again for the first time since then at the weekend, and the rear brake is now entirely gone. Nothing at all. You could happily stand off the bike, keep your foot on the rear brake pressed all the way down, and just push it around. What's interesting about this to me, is that it means the deterioration is not a function of heat from the engine (as some thought it might be), it's not a function of miles ridden, or amount of brake use, it seems to literally just be a deterioration over time.

Anyway, after originally posting here, I did find the above procedure details you mention. As I've said I'm no tech, I don't know what steps are involved in the other work they've already done, but I'd half-expect that to change the brake fluid, you'd need to purge the ABS system. Having said that, they never did specifically mention trying anything with the ABS, so here's hoping that that is the problem, and that this procedure is the silver bullet. Because aside from the dodgy rear brakes, I absolutely LOVE this bike!

To be fair, the ignorance is not entirely unjustified. No one knew wtf was causing it or how to fix it. At least the dealer (if not Triumph themselves!) were acknowledging the seriousness of the issue, and attempting to put it right for me.

I'm really pleased yours has been all good since the work has been done, but given that you never had much of a problem beforehand, it might not prove very much. How long have you had the bike, and roughly how many miles have you done? I'm guessing not much (like myself) given covid and lockdowns. I've had mine over a year now, but only managed about 1500 miles. In that time it's been in for bleeding of the brakes I think 3 times (one of which was the replacement of the brake fluid, at their suggestion). So since I was one of the first to get a Rocket, collecting it (the TFC) in mid Jan 2020, this is probably partly why I've had it fail so many times, and why the dealer was happy to attempt changing the fluid.

What's has been especially interesting for me, is that before we got about 3 months of continuous rain starting early November, I had ridden the bike, and found that the rear brake was once again getting rather ineffective - not terrible, but not good. I went to ride the bike again for the first time since then at the weekend, and the rear brake is now entirely gone. Nothing at all. You could happily stand off the bike, keep your foot on the rear brake pressed all the way down, and just push it around. What's interesting about this to me, is that it means the deterioration is not a function of heat from the engine (as some thought it might be), it's not a function of miles ridden, or amount of brake use, it seems to literally just be a deterioration over time.

Anyway, after originally posting here, I did find the above procedure details you mention. As I've said I'm no tech, I don't know what steps are involved in the other work they've already done, but I'd half-expect that to change the brake fluid, you'd need to purge the ABS system. Having said that, they never did specifically mention trying anything with the ABS, so here's hoping that that is the problem, and that this procedure is the silver bullet. Because aside from the dodgy rear brakes, I absolutely LOVE this bike!
I've done 2600 miles and had the bike for 10 months.

Super helpful and interesting. I just picked up my 2020 TFC this past weekend, and took it straight to the dealer to have this, and the first service done. As I've not actually ridden it, I won't have a baseline to compare once I'm able to after the service is done. Very much hoping that whatever it is, the dealer addresses it the first time.

I am very sorry about these words...
If you consider:
- two major brands: Triumph and Brembo
- "The" motorbike: Rocket 3 - 2.5
And you get a rear brake which is a "b......t" ; before and after any attempt to fix its lack of efficiency..
I do not like that, but my medicine to forget this "joke of Triumbo rear brake", is to ride my old HD road king with its perfect efficient and reliable rear brake.
Another option could be: the rear brake is not inefficient on purpose to never block the wheel. This is the anti-lock braking system from Triumbo.
According to my dealership, nothing is forecasted to change regarding this "rear brake joke" in 2021...

I regret the rear brake installed on my 2007 Rocket 3 !

PS: sun was shining today, temperature was fine (50°F - 10¨C), I had a nice 2 hours ride with the R3, but three times I had to rear brake with nearly no effect....

I am very sorry about these words...
If you consider:
- two major brands: Triumph and Brembo
- "The" motorbike: Rocket 3 - 2.5
And you get a rear brake which is a "b......t" ; before and after any attempt to fix its lack of efficiency..
I do not like that, but my medicine to forget this "joke of Triumbo rear brake", is to ride my old HD road king with its perfect efficient and reliable rear brake.
Another option could be: the rear brake is not inefficient on purpose to never block the wheel. This is the anti-lock braking system from Triumbo.
According to my dealership, nothing is forecasted to change regarding this "rear brake joke" in 2021...

I regret the rear brake installed on my 2007 Rocket 3 !

PS: sun was shining today, temperature was fine (50°F - 10¨C), I had a nice 2 hours ride with the R3, but three times I had to rear brake with nearly no effect....
and... have you had the recall work done by your dealer yet (since the recall announcement)?

Back