Rear wheel removal & replace (new tire).

I'm new to the forum. I hope I have posted in the correct place !

I recently had the rear tire changed and was charged $25 for a bolt ((BOLT, HHF, M18A1). The dealership told me this bolt always needed replaced, "every time" the rear tire was changed.

Any truth to this?
Thanks,
John

Only thing I could think of would be the rear brake caliper bolts if they took it off to remove the wheel. Without looking at the service manual I believe they are the only bolts that are recommended being replaced.

Only thing I could think of would be the rear brake caliper bolts if they took it off to remove the wheel. Without looking at the service manual I believe they are the only bolts that are recommended being replaced.

I know this is an older thread, but I saw in the manual that the bolts needed to be replaced which I thought was strange. I called the triumph shop to see if they ever replace them and they said "no they do not" and that it wasn't necessary.
The last time I swapped out my wheel I didn't bother to change the bolts.
Also I was looking at the original photos and saw that the rear fender was removed. Is there a lot to do to remove the rear fender? I didn't have to remove mine to change the wheel, but it was tight sliding it out.

Loctite?

If the thread sealer used on them is a Loctite product they can and must (whenever possible) be heated to put the sealer back in liquid form. A Loctite rep. came to our shop and informed us of this. Any bolt that has it on them, depending on what type of Loctite, can break from too much muscle. After heating them they would then need to be replaced. Just for ****s and giggles I removed the front disc mounting screws on the Harley with a 1/4" ratchet after heating for 30 seconds with a torch.

Back