Rear wheel lift, is this adequate

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
Wanting to pick up a small floor jack to aid in the removal and install of the rear wheel. Considering what is below, should this be adequate? 3 1/2 to 14 in lift. concerned about the small lifting area

recommendations?

Not to lift entire bike, just to aid in holding the rear tire up/down when removing and installing

thanks

Hoopla

Last edited:
Not sure which one you are looking at , if the small jack remember and put a piece of plywood between the jack and the engine helps spread the load and it works fine I have been turning one of my Rockets 180deg this way for twelve years.
Brace/secure the bike with the rear wheel off.

You will need a very stable platform. This bike is big and top heavy. The purchase of a bike lift is a big decision. Choose a stable one, not just a cheap floor jack. Some guys put a floor jack under the cat box, or a piece of wood on a jack under the oil pan. Several ways, just make sure it won't fall or go down while the wheel is off. I use a BikeLift brand motorcycle lift and a flat plate jack to raise the front or rear

Wanting to pick up a small floor jack to aid in the removal and install of the rear wheel. Considering what is below, should this be adequate? 3 1/2 to 14 in lift. concerned about the small lifting area

recommendations?

thanks

Hoopla

Take into consideration how high you are going to have to lift the bike to get the wheel past the rear end of the fender. The smallest I would use would be a scissor jack. Also remember how heavy the rim-tire-disc-drive gear assembly is.

And don't forget about all the swearing that is going to take place trying to get the tire back on the splines of the final drive. When you get that done, you can swear some more as you try and get the spacer bushing back in if you are working on an R3T with ABS. I need to find a better way to lift and rotate the tire to get things lined up.

Anyone ever use one of these..

Ironton Heavy-Duty Mechanical Wheel Dolly — 1,250-Lb. Lift Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment Search Ads Test&utm_source=google_PPC

And don't forget about all the swearing that is going to take place trying to get the tire back on the splines of the final drive. When you get that done, you can swear some more as you try and get the spacer bushing back in if you are working on an R3T with ABS. I need to find a better way to lift and rotate the tire to get things lined up.

I don't see how it might lift.

I'm going to try one I found at Harbor Freight, aluminum 1.5 tons, may try and configure a holder on the lift so it holds the wheel steady while lifting it.

Ironton Heavy-Duty Mechanical Wheel Dolly — 1,250-Lb. Lift Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment Search Ads Test&utm_source=google_PPC

This is for 1 of 4 wheels.
Since your motor has only 2, I would reckon it would be unstable.

This is for 1 of 4 wheels.
Since your motor has only 2, I would reckon it would be unstable.

My intention was to use it to lift and rotate just the rear tire to get it in position to put it back on the final drive. This would be after the bike is already up in the air.

Back