Rear tire removal

There are numerous tire repair ways/kits/videos. I think the Mushroom style of plug is probably the best. Here are a couple of videos showing two types
You can purchase the various kits pretty well anywhere. Amazon

I carry the old fashion plug kit with the string type rubber plugs, sealant and inflator CO2 cartridges along with a mini compressor. Have had to use it once so far. Ran the rear tire with the plug in it for several thousand kilometers with no issues.

This stuff is the best and can balance your tires too! No more wheel weights!
I plugged my tire and it is holding air, then I bought this product. Is this considered a temporary safety device until you can get the tire replaced or is it safe to plug the tire, use the tire sealant, and ride until the tire wears out? My leak was from a very small piece of wire right in the middle of the contact patch with only 1500 miles on the bike.

I plugged my tire and it is holding air, then I bought this product. Is this considered a temporary safety device until you can get the tire replaced or is it safe to plug the tire, use the tire sealant, and ride until the tire wears out? My leak was from a very small piece of wire right in the middle of the contact patch with only 1500 miles on the bike.

Attachments

• B8E2FF99-4F03-4466-A4C3-883863B4852D.jpeg
    B8E2FF99-4F03-4466-A4C3-883863B4852D.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 17
The sealants should last the life of the tyre as Jag has posted. I personally wouldn't have plugged the tyre, just used the sealant particularly with such a small hole. I have had a slow leak around the vale stem on another bike and the sealant cured this (I had a small amount of sealant ooze out then nothing) that was 2 years and approx 2000miles ago. I wouldn't trust the plug on its own but with the sealant as well I think you should be fine.

Steve

Is a repaired tire safe? This question is asked in shops all the time. Motorcycles unlike cars have different load stresses on the tires. Watching still photos of riders pushing through curves show how the tires distort. It really is impressive to see. The leaning and force puts “pressure” on the side wall. Watching a car make the same curves shows minimal tire distortion. It comes down to just how much $300 means to you. A modern repair plug’s have compounds in them that work to mold the plug in the whole. A simple nail whole plugs well. A slice by a piece of metal doesn’t seal as tight. My logic is to never run a repaired tire on the front. I have in my younger years ran a repaired tire in the rear. I probably wouldn’t use a repaired tire now. Back to what $300 is worth...

Back