Rear tire removal

msdunkel

.040 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3R
I picked up a nail and want to get a patch installed. Is removing the back wheel as simple as removing those 5 lugnuts? With the nail right in the middle of the back tire I feel comfortable letting my local discount tire do the patch instead of paying triple to have a bike mechanic do it. As a couple follow-up questions, anybody know the torque for those lugnuts and any tricks to jacking the bike? The owners manual wants you to only let Triumph do it which seems silly, but I don't have a dedicated motorcycle jack -- just a standard floor jack.

thanks!

I have used plugs on rear tires couple times, don't have to remove wheel and can do it myself. Rode them like normal, replaced when worn down like usual. Not sure on jacking up new rockets, overhead hoist and a strap probably easiest way.

there are four jack points under the engine, place your jack under there, jack it up and support the swing arm, more so as a precaution, then undue the 5 lugs and remove the tire, thats it, torque i think was 80 ft/lbs, but double check that
I got a nail in the center of mine but it took to plugs to stop it, so i changed the tire instead, seemed prudent

This stuff is the best and can balance your tires too! No more wheel weights!

Rear wheel nuts torque to 100 Nm (73.75 ft lbs).
I too use tyre sealant in all my bikes, brilliant products, but be sure the one you use is OK with alloy wheels, some aren't. Also it's very important to check the tires regularly for nails etc and remove them. The sealant will seal round the nail and you don't know it's there! Over time that can damage the tyre carcass.
Steve

Thanks all, I've got a plug kit but I think a patch is probably a better solution especially when you look at how easy it is to remove the back wheel.

Well apparently the lawyers have ruined tire repair in the US. Nobody here will touch it, I'm probably going to be stuck plugging.

Back