Rear Tire Can't take the heat

Skid Mark

.040 Over
I'm nearing 9000 miles on my 2005 Rocket and I am on my 2nd rear tire . I do not do burn outs I do ride the twist's on the way to work 6 miles out of a 48 mile highway drive. My first rear tire made it to 4200 miles before the cords were showing. My secound tire looks like it may make it to my 10,000 one year maintenance check ! Some one help the rear tire on the Rocket 3 can not handle the power!!!! Any other tire makers out there that has a better , stronger, faster longer lasting tire ? I am really considering going to the goodyear 245/50VR16 just because of LACK of Choice !!!!:mad:

Last edited:
As far as I know... its the only tire choice we have as far as Motorcycle tires go... our only option is a car tire...

I have almost 4000 miles on my Rocket III and the rear tire looks almost new... and I do some burnouts here and there:D ... I'll bet it goes 7K or more before I have to replace it. I keep it at 42 PSI, it does leak down some over time so if you don't check your tire pressures you may be running underinflated... which may speed up tire wear.

Do you ride with a passenger quite a bit? Do you ride roads that are abrasive.... some newer asphalt roads have glass in them to aid traction... it eats tires...:confused:

Mine's Fine

I just turned 5800 over 16 months and still have plenty of tire left. That doesn't mean the tread won't wear through next month with my luck. (Knock on Wood) I wonder a bad run of tires and your dealer bought a few from the same batch? Have them order in a fresh tire from Metzeler and try it. Maybe there's a recall. Just some ideas to throw around.

Like the continental soldiers said, "Don't tread on me". :roll:

Last edited:
4700 miles so far and it looks if I am lucky a couple thousand more. I have a bad habit of breaking the rear end loose around a corner every once in a while.:eek:

I got 22,000 on my front tire before replacing it. and I got 14,000 on my first back tire and 15,000 out of my 2nd back tire. I just replaced my back with its third tire yesterday.
I attribute it to religously checking my tire pressures at least once a week. And I stay away from the burn outs. to expensive for me. I do my own tire changes, so that saves me some money.

Pergy said:
I got 22,000 on my front tire before replacing it. and I got 14,000 on my first back tire and 15,000 out of my 2nd back tire. I just replaced my back with its third tire yesterday.
I attribute it to religously checking my tire pressures at least once a week. And I stay away from the burn outs. to expensive for me. I do my own tire changes, so that saves me some money.

Another high mileage Rocketeer!:bch: :D :D

That is a LOT of miles for the rear tire. I only get 8k on mine, 9k to threads....no pillion and no burnouts. I do launch hard at stop lights frequently though....part of the joy of the Rocket. Still, I can't bring myself to install a car tire despite all the good reports about them.

:eek: What are you winging about,I got 3,750 miles from my first rear and 3,100miles from my second.
First front lasted 5,625miles and second one only made 3,750miles(it was a Dunlop)

You boy must not be riding hard enough:D :D

Fitted 3rd rear tyre , 1st 2 lasted just over 3000 miles , front lasted 6500 miles ,
Havent the rest of you got corners or what , have you limited the throttle to a 1/3 movement:D

4'000 miles (NOT k's) is my rear rubber average over close to two years of ownership. At such a mileage, though, roadholding in twisties tends to deteriorate. That is: the bike feels more cumbersome. I'd say 8'000 miles for the front tyre, with the same caveat, particularly relative to cornering stability when banked over. Of course, my riding is solo, fast (reportedly) and mostly on mountain roads. Hope this helps. Best. Jamie

Back