If the new R3R has an Archilles heel, IMO, it is the rear suspension.
If find that unless the road surface is smooth it is hard, even life threatening to unleash its full power in the lower gears! Furthermore the harshness of the rear end is always the limiting factor in trying to maintain a good pace on a bumpy but flowing back road and I struggle to maintain pace with other well ridden dual sport type bikes.
I fully understand the difference between the rear suspension on a dual sport v a “cruiser” however despite playing around with the rear suspension adjustments, I cannot get any sort of suspension compliance that is even half acceptable.
I would love to know if there are any alternative rear suspension alternatives on the market yet or if anybody has a secret formula of adjustment that they would be willing to share.

Just to make it clear, there is no problem if the roads you ride are smooth and your ride pace is gentle to even brisk. But if you are charging around bumpy back roads at speed, the limitations become painfully obvious!
I put Progressive 444s on my '14 Rocket III Roadster, they are amazing. Also have new Progressive fork springs, haven't installed them yet but I am hoping they will be just as good.

FWIW I’ve been pretty happy with these settings on my R. 220lbs with gear. Comfortable but still responsive for sportier riding.

F: Compression2
F: Rebound2.5
R: Compression2
R: Rebound2.5
R: Preload3.5 (7 clicks) - solo
1 (2 clicks) - pillion

Attachments

• 3b30661ed6e8f14b9bb265ab2d14a65d.jpg
    3b30661ed6e8f14b9bb265ab2d14a65d.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 18
FWIW I’ve been pretty happy with these settings on my R. 220lbs with gear. Comfortable but still responsive for sportier riding.

F: Compression2
F: Rebound2.5
R: Compression2
R: Rebound2.5
R: Preload3.5 (7 clicks) - solo
1 (2 clicks) - pillion
Rear Preload measured from min or max setting? I'm guessing max since you use 2 clicks for riding with pillion.

Back