For dynamic riding but not too hard (and +/- rider weight as per the video), anyone recommending their set-up ? (I find a little hard the rear suspension on my R; both front and rear are stock set-up).

This is basically the one I am with my 210 pounds using in the mountains, pretty good, nice for some bumps and good roads. Only time it doesn't feel good it's in alligator back kind of roads with a lot of continuous deformations because I don't feel it's fast enough to recover. A bit softer will be better for that particular case or lower than the 42psi tire pressure

Hi guys. I’m having tremendous lower back discomfort on long rides on the Rocket 3R. My garage expert suggested me to change the springs as per the spring rate according to my weight which is 66 KGs. After lot of searching I found hyperpro makes springs for the Rocket 3R. Springs - Hyperpro

Has anyone tried changing the springs to the Hyperpro Springs for forks and rear shock? Can you please guide me about pros and cons of changing the springs. I’ve never done anything like this before on my previous motorcycles.

Interesting, I'd really like to hear experiences from folks re-springing a new rocket as well. I've got the opposite problem as you, I'm nearly double your weight and I'd definitely consider a stiffer rear spring that I don't need to dial in so much preload.

If the new R3R has an Archilles heel, IMO, it is the rear suspension.
If find that unless the road surface is smooth it is hard, even life threatening to unleash its full power in the lower gears! Furthermore the harshness of the rear end is always the limiting factor in trying to maintain a good pace on a bumpy but flowing back road and I struggle to maintain pace with other well ridden dual sport type bikes.
I fully understand the difference between the rear suspension on a dual sport v a “cruiser” however despite playing around with the rear suspension adjustments, I cannot get any sort of suspension compliance that is even half acceptable.
I would love to know if there are any alternative rear suspension alternatives on the market yet or if anybody has a secret formula of adjustment that they would be willing to share.

Just to make it clear, there is no problem if the roads you ride are smooth and your ride pace is gentle to even brisk. But if you are charging around bumpy back roads at speed, the limitations become painfully obvious!
Check out col and zig utube on suspension set-up

I bought a Rocket 3 GT over the summer and was immediately very disappointed with the ride quality. I searched the web for a solution & found this forum … tried all of the various suggestions here and, though they helped a little, I could not find any combination of preload & damping settings that would make the ride tolerable (FYI my ride weight is 185 lbs, no luggage). Small, sharp bumps would still give me a good jolt. It got to the point where I considered selling the bike.

As a last resort I ended up swapping out the rear suspension, convinced that the stock shock unit is simply mismatched to the bike. I found two options:
- Hyperpro emulsion shock (they do not make a reservoir shock for the R3GT)
- Wilbers emulsion shock or reservoir shock
(My dealer tells me Ohlins makes a shock but only for the TFC and will not sell it to you unless you provide a TFC VIN.)

I chose the Wilbers 643 reservoir shock with hydraulic preload adjuster. It’s a very well made unit and installed with no issues. Fit was spot on. Even before riding the bike I could feel the difference in the spring rate: dynamic sag went up 50% and it no longer felt like a rock when I sat on the bike. The ride quality has definitely improved. To be clear the R3GT will never ride like a Gold Wing but, for me, it now feels, well, much more “normal”. Still a bit firm compared to my BMWs but no more spine jolts. So if you’re about to give up on the bike it’s worth considering replacing the rear shock.

A few notes:
- I ordered mine spec’ed for maximum comfort and with a custom shock length (+15mm ride height increase) since, with the original factory shock, I used 10 clicks CCW of preload. If I had to do it again I’d probably order the Wilbers with just +10mm ride height increase though the stock length ought to be fine too, especially if you’re not riding with any preload now.
- The rebound adjustment is still accessible through the original adjuster port. A pencil eraser can be used to rotate the clicker.
- The service manual has you remove a lot of stuff to be able to access the upper shock mount nut, including the fuel tank and keyless ECM module under the rear of the tank. I was able to get at it by just loosening the tank bolts, propping up the rear of the tank a bit, and just removing the plastic relay panel in front of the battery. There was just enough room to get a 3/8 breaker bar in there with a 14mm socket (not enough room for the head of a ratchet wrench though). I recommend putting a small button magnet in the socket to capture the nut … you’re working blind and don’t want to risk dropping the nut when removing or installing it.
- The shock mount nuts are one-time-use locknuts. You’ll need a couple of new ones.

Attachments

• IMG_6716.JPG
    IMG_6716.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6744.JPG
    IMG_6744.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 74
Nice! I thought I read somewhere that nitron may have a shock for the new rockets too. But Wilber’s is a great brand. It must be that seating position on the GT vs the R. No complaints once I got it dialed in on my R. Even 2 up I just twist a little extra preload. But then again, don’t have anything to compare it to really.

Nice! I thought I read somewhere that nitron may have a shock for the new rockets too. But Wilber’s is a great brand. It must be that seating position on the GT vs the R. No complaints once I got it dialed in on my R. Even 2 up I just twist a little extra preload. But then again, don’t have anything to compare it to really.
Agree on the riding position. The forward pegs put more stress on my back as there's no way to transfer any weight to my legs, even just a little bit (I'm going to move them to the mid position). And of course ride comfort is a really personal subjective thing. I think part of my problem is that I got used to riding cushy BMWs for the last 20 years ...

Here's a side-by-side of the Showa vs Wilbers. It's hard to see in the photo but the length of the exposed piston rod is slightly longer on the Wilbers ... longer maximum stroke?

Attachments

• IMG_6739.JPG
    IMG_6739.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 56
...interesting.....i found when you take delivery of the new bike, the preload is set on the very bottom setting so is going to be really harsh. Each click when you wind the preload is half a turn...i took mine right up to the top. It seemed like i was never going to get there!.. then i came back 5 full turns.
I go a tad over 250lbs with my gear on and this setting along with the rebound and compression settings altered gives me a great ride...no sore back or arse! I have had a herniated disc operation plus my right lower back gives me pain from time to time so im happy with this seat and suspension as its so comfortable.

...interesting.....i found when you take delivery of the new bike, the preload is set on the very bottom setting so is going to be really harsh. Each click when you wind the preload is half a turn...i took mine right up to the top. It seemed like i was never going to get there!.. then i came back 5 full turns.
I go a tad over 250lbs with my gear on and this setting along with the rebound and compression settings altered gives me a great ride...no sore back or arse! I have had a herniated disc operation plus my right lower back gives me pain from time to time so im happy with this seat and suspension as its so comfortable.
You are not going to tell us the rebound and compression settings, lol?

Back