aussiebikerdave

Aussiebikerdave
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3R
If the new R3R has an Archilles heel, IMO, it is the rear suspension.
If find that unless the road surface is smooth it is hard, even life threatening to unleash its full power in the lower gears! Furthermore the harshness of the rear end is always the limiting factor in trying to maintain a good pace on a bumpy but flowing back road and I struggle to maintain pace with other well ridden dual sport type bikes.
I fully understand the difference between the rear suspension on a dual sport v a “cruiser” however despite playing around with the rear suspension adjustments, I cannot get any sort of suspension compliance that is even half acceptable.
I would love to know if there are any alternative rear suspension alternatives on the market yet or if anybody has a secret formula of adjustment that they would be willing to share.

Just to make it clear, there is no problem if the roads you ride are smooth and your ride pace is gentle to even brisk. But if you are charging around bumpy back roads at speed, the limitations become painfully obvious!

Go for the Fournales air suspension.
I went through a cupple sets .120,000 on my 1st Rocket and 10,000 on the new one and found these the best .
Had the war lord and luggage and reset the to do a 9,000 round trip to Darwin and set the pressure,s with the pump didn’t bottom out once.
I haven’t tried Wilbers and also heard good things about them.
They will ask u what weight you’re a and make them to sute.

Despite everything is on softer position (preload, compression and rebound), it is quite harder than any of my other bikes with öhlins. Unfortunately Showa was chosen ... and öhlins are not available yet for R3 R/GT.

First off, it's the front fork that is limiting to me (haven't touched the settings yet, got to be said) but if i hit three bumbs directly after each other it's like it absorbs the first bump and then goes into billygoat kid mode (feels like it's rigid, non sprung) The rear is much better with 9 clicks in from "bottom/minimum preload" (I know you're supposed to count clicks from max preload, but i can't see what difference it makes except if you want to replicate recommended settings in the manual) It sounds counterproductive, but somehow feels much better.

The rear is much better with 9 clicks in from "bottom/minimum preload" (I know you're supposed to count clicks from max preload, but i can't see what difference it makes except if you want to replicate recommended settings in the manual) It sounds counterproductive, but somehow feels much better.

Do you mean that adding 9 clicks from minimum preload position, small bumps or holes on the road have less impact on your back ?

Do you mean that adding 9 clicks from minimum preload position, small bumps or holes on the road have less impact on your back ?
Yes, strange as it may sound!

Back