Rear Metzeler goooooone

You cannot run a radial and a bias on the same axle, so no problem there for motorcycles - as long as they aren't trikes. You can run a radial on the rear and bias on the front, but not the other way round.

I like and appreciate your info. and would like to add it to my data base.
Can you lead me to a link, article or paper regarding this?

You cannot run a radial and a bias on the same axle, so no problem there for motorcycles - as long as they aren't trikes. You can run a radial on the rear and bias on the front, but not the other way round.

The fitment of my "combination" of Radial/Bias belted tyres was not by my design I asked my local M?C tyre shop a Kawasaki dealer and he suggested the front bias belted tyre he had to order it in so it was not a case of Fobbing off a tyre he was stuck with, rather what was working for his other Cruiser riding Customers.

The fitment of my "combination" of Radial/Bias belted tyres was not by my design I asked my local M?C tyre shop a Kawasaki dealer and he suggested the front bias belted tyre he had to order it in so it was not a case of Fobbing off a tyre he was stuck with, rather what was working for his other Cruiser riding Customers.

I'm certainly not disputing this!
I just would like to know more and understand better regarding the concept. :thumbsup:
Very intrigued as I've always understood mixing radial and bias to be a no-no, but have absolutely NO scientific back up to that assertion! :eek:

I'm certainly not disputing this!
I just would like to know more and understand better regarding the concept. :thumbsup:
Very intrigued as I've always understood mixing radial and bias to be a no-no, but have absolutely NO scientific back up to that assertion! :eek:

Mate I was in the dark about the difference between the two and it was only after a few people posted what tyres they were running last year and I mentioned the combination I had and the discussion progressed, to tell the truth my style of riding these days would not show up any short falls in tyre performance or design, it is interesting though to get the various views on the subject,:)

Thanks for this!
Especially found the last sentence interesting.
Any ideas about which manufacturers and/or bike models?
Perhaps I shall contact Revzilla . . .

Can I mix radial and bias-ply tires? Can I switch from bias to radials?
Again, we respect a customer’s right to choose, but we only recommend sticking with a manufacturer’s recommended tire construction type.

In general, radial tires offer lower temperatures (leading to longer life), stiffer construction, and the ability to have sidewalls with a lower aspect ratio, resulting in less flex. Bias-ply tires offer a softer, more compliant ride and, typically, a little lower price. Their other main advantage is load-carrying capability. In a given size, you’ll typically see a bias handle more weight. It explains why Harley (a big player in the heavy cruiser market) and certain touring bikes use them.

Interestingly, for some manufacturers, a mix of a bias front and radial rear is the setup from the factory.

Thanks for this!
Especially found the last sentence interesting.
Any ideas about which manufacturers and/or bike models?
Perhaps I shall contact Revzilla . . .

Can I mix radial and bias-ply tires? Can I switch from bias to radials?
Again, we respect a customer’s right to choose, but we only recommend sticking with a manufacturer’s recommended tire construction type.

In general, radial tires offer lower temperatures (leading to longer life), stiffer construction, and the ability to have sidewalls with a lower aspect ratio, resulting in less flex. Bias-ply tires offer a softer, more compliant ride and, typically, a little lower price. Their other main advantage is load-carrying capability. In a given size, you’ll typically see a bias handle more weight. It explains why Harley (a big player in the heavy cruiser market) and certain touring bikes use them.

Interestingly, for some manufacturers, a mix of a bias front and radial rear is the setup from the factory.

The plot thickens! maybe my tyre guy is not all pi** and wind;)

The plot thickens! maybe my tyre guy is not all pi** and wind;)

INDEED!
I did not know about the weight bearing advantage of the bias ply claimed by RevZilla.

I found this a very informative article, also from RevZilla:
Why do some motorcycles still wear bias-ply tires?
The best part: "Happily, there's a method of tire construction that shines for each! Bias-ply tires’ stiff sidewalls perform admirably under heavy loads. Their inherent lack of flex also means the sidewall won’t "wash out" in a turn as easily as a radial."

You should inquire where your "tyre guy" got his dope?
This stuff from RevZilla seems to support him.

Sounds like we need a trans hemisphere tyre exchange so we can ring the necks out off these tyres instead of throwing half the tyre away

Back