R3R - stalling issue?

Rocketmouse

.020 Over
Apologies if I didn't search well enough, but I'm having an intermittent stalling problem on my new 2013 R3R that I wanted to get an opinion on (other than "that sucks").

Right after picking up the bike from the dealer (brand new), I went on a mid-length ride of about 20 miles. First part of the drive was canyon road, then onto the interstate for about 15 miles running 65-75 the whole way. When I got off the interstate and downshifted, the bike immediately stalled (temperature was about 90-95F / 32-35C). Restarted the bike and ran fine.

I have had this problem a couple more times since then, always in hot weather, and always right after a 15+ mile interstate run. As I am taking the bike in for the 500-mile service this weekend (to a different dealer), I thought I would check the group's ideas on what I should have them check.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original dealer's incompetence that caused this as I have already had to tighten the bar end weights (they almost fell off), tighten ignition coil mountings (ditto), tighten the mirror mountings (same), adjust the front brake banjo mounting direction (so they weren't facing 30 degrees out of whack), and correct the license plate mounting that created an instant moving violation!

A couple of comments...

1.) This is pretty common with new Rockets. The dealer should take care of it during your first service, but make sure and mention it anyway. I would guess they need to reset your primary TPS.
2.) A mid-length ride is 20 miles? You only ride 15 minutes at a time and a long ride is what...30 minutes? Put your big girl panties on and take it our for ...oh say...an hour :D

I had the same problem with my Touring when it was new, and only after running it hard on hot days, to be honest I don't really remember what the resolution was, I think it stopped on its own.....

Thanks Tex - my panties are just fine as they are :cool:

As far as distances, most of what I ride is either 20-30 miles (around town), or 100+ for fun, so using that as a measuring guide, 25 would be about "mid-length".

All kidding aside, I have to admit the Rocket is an absolute blast! Coming from a "sensible" ride and car to something with enough power to walk away from any idiots I encounter is really refreshing. I do need to recalibrate my "butt feel" a bit though since she seems most happy at about 90 or so, and I really don't want to meet the local highway patrol at that point!

Dude...oooopps....nobody told you? You are supposed to find a MC cop and make friends!! If you don't you are destined to have enough tickets to either lose your license or break your bank :D

my new 2012 r3r has done this 3 times now... bike is all warm, it seems to happen when i pull in clutch and chop the throttle when rolling along at speed... if i waddle down through the gears it will 'hunt' and settle at 750rpm as i go to neutral from 2nd when stopping, but doesn't stall...

and it does all kinds of popping back when i chop the throttle... i get a feeling the efi program isn't quite as sophisticated as it could be...

i'm going to see if the dealer can do the 2013 flash on my 2012 ecu when i wander back over there...

Got back from dropping my '13 R3R at the dealer for the same issue. Died on me twice in ~500 miles wheh i chopped and downed from 3rd to second.

Service manager said an updated flash was available from Triumph here in the last day or so. They are supposed to drop it in my machine. Hopefully that works

Velvet

definitely want to hear the next chapter in this story...

can you get the 'name' of the flash they use, or the tech bulletin that calls it out? it's always handy to have that stuff when others try to get their (sometimes clueless) dealers to do something...

Back