R3R - stalling issue?

Well, my 2013 R3T had this stalling problem about 6 times, 3 this last Sunday, mostly 3rd to 2nd gear. Dropped off the bike to dealer today and I told them to check the TPS. They did diagnostics and said everything was perfect-- nothing off. They test rode it and nothing, of course, happened.

They then called Triumph and TRI said (I'm getting this second hand) that the conditions 100 degrees and 70% humidity on the day it stalled were factors since the engine has such high compression. (What?) I go pick it up tomorrow with no resolution. At least i have it documented.

Of course my wife is worried sick now I'll get into a situation where I need to downshift and react to get out of a sticky fix and I'll get squashed or something. I am the second owner. Bought it w/ 1400 miles-- now has 4500 miles.

I told the service guy, none of my other old bikes die when I downshift. I'm pretty GD mad. If this explanation is Triumph's idea of a quality $17K bike, I might have to start reconsidering ownership. It's a shame since i love the bike when it's running right, which is all but 6 times. But when it's a safety issue, I don't think Triumph really is giving me a choice.

What has been the resolution for some of you guys?

Well, my 2013 R3T had this stalling problem about 6 times, 3 this last Sunday, mostly 3rd to 2nd gear. Dropped off the bike to dealer today and I told them to check the TPS. They did diagnostics and said everything was perfect-- nothing off. They test rode it and nothing, of course, happened.

They then called Triumph and TRI said (I'm getting this second hand) that the conditions 100 degrees and 70% humidity on the day it stalled were factors since the engine has such high compression. (What?) I go pick it up tomorrow with no resolution. At least i have it documented.

Of course my wife is worried sick now I'll get into a situation where I need to downshift and react to get out of a sticky fix and I'll get squashed or something. I am the second owner. Bought it w/ 1400 miles-- now has 4500 miles.

I told the service guy, none of my other old bikes die when I downshift. I'm pretty GD mad. If this explanation is Triumph's idea of a quality $17K bike, I might have to start reconsidering ownership. It's a shame since i love the bike when it's running right, which is all but 6 times. But when it's a safety issue, I don't think Triumph really is giving me a choice.

What has been the resolution for some of you guys?

I'd bet money your lean way lean mine was they told me the same thing I fatted it up and runs fine now did it new

Well, I called Triumph at 1-678-854-2010 before picking up my bike this morning and I sat on hold about 10 mins, then I finally talked to David who understood my anxiety about the stalling. He looked up my VIN to see if the tech remoted in during the Dealer call yesterday. He said TRI just talked to the service counter guy. So David's arranging for TRI's tech to remote in directly to the bike with the dealer's tech and so they can poke around to see what can be done.

Found this NHSTA alert from years ago:
http://wemakeitsafer.com/vehicle-recall/Triumph-Rocket-Iii-Recall-7902407

Last edited:
Back