R3R real axle bolt stripping

Dedaaru

Like riding in the rain ...
Ride
R3 Roadster, TBird Storm, Tiger Exp 1200
I dropped my 2013 R3R at the dealer for a tire change and they managed to strip the axle bolt. Now I'm waiting for parts to be shipped from the mother ship. Is this something any of you have experienced? I have not heard of this happening. Thoughts?

Never heard of anyone stripping the axle shaft and nut. They are supposed to only apply 81 ft/lbs of torque to the nut max. You wonder if they used an impact gun to tighten things up????

Pinwall Cycle has the axle in stock for around $15 bucks with free shipping US.

Last edited:
must have been the jolly green giant
more that likely he got it cross threaded
either way i would pay shipping if u would send it to me.
pictures if not a problem

Yeah, way over zealous with the NO torque wrench. I had a tire change on a Trophy in Arkansas and the monkey at the shop tightened the front axle so hard that it damaged both bearings and compressed the spacer. The dealer did pay me for replacement parts though. This is yet another reason I do my own tire changes.

just my opinion
the way to check this wheel is to check the turning force off the wheel in neutral then recheck after the wheel is torqued to see if it is the same
if the spacer was compressed then the wheel will be under a lot of pressure to turn.
but if he just buggered the threads trying to start the axle nut then there won't be a problem.

Could be a cross thread, I guess, but I've never come close to feeling that nut was starting to cross thread. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, just not to me- I realize. But I suspect they just over tightened the snot out of it!

Sometimes someone tightens the bolt/nut super tight and it damages the thread and the guy taking it off is the one that has the trouble it will just spin and not come off.
A prime example is lug nuts on car/truck rims/tires when they are to tight they stretch the threads annd lock on to the stud so when you take it off you will break the stud.

Back