R3GT/R Windscreens - A Review of Three

ArizonaKid

.040 Over
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
I'm an older guy located in the southwest of the US where you can ride 12 month of the year - been on a motorcycle of one make or another for nearly 60 years - and currently the proud owner/rider of a 2021 R3GT among a couple others. Even though the GT comes with a windscreen of sorts, it really doesn't screen much wind. So, one of the first additions/changes I wanted to make was to find a suitable windscreen, and hopefully my search will help someone else in the community who's also looking for a different windscreen. I bought, installed and have ridden with these three different windscreens, so I have the benefit of personal experience with each of them. There are a few others out there, I know, but these are the ones that drew my attention for various reasons and therefore the ones I was willing to pay for.
First of all, these sorts of modifications are like toothbrushes - everyone has a preference and everyone has an opinion about them. And so, the following is just that - my opinion and my preference - nothing more. And again, maybe it will be helpful to someone.
First: I've always been a fan of Puig windscreens and have put them on a number of other motorcycles. So, I bought the small tinted Puig windscreen for the GT. It's just a smidge taller and wider (especially at the bottom end) than the OEM GT windscreen. It's well made, comes with nice brackets and hardware, and has a very nice shape to it (the bottom has the same shape as the dual headlamp arrangement of the R3GT/R). The problem, if you want to call it that, is it doesn't do anything more than the OEM windscreen, and isn't adjustable in any way. If you have an R version of the R3, and you like the minimalist look and aren't looking for much wind protection the Puig might be the ticket for you. I was hoping for more wind protection, so it didn't fill the bill.
Second: The next in line was a Madstad 20" light tinted screen. I was drawn to it because it's larger, has a generous amount of adjustability (both lean angle and height) and it looked pretty good in their pictures. It's well made, comes with nice adjustable brackets and all the mounting hardware required. You can also order several heights, based on how tall you are, and it comes in a clear, light tint and dark versions. The company also has excellent customer service and they solved a minor problem for me, no questions asked. The bottom line was it just didn't provide the esthetics I was looking for - to me it just didn't compliment the looks of the R3GT the way I wanted. So. . .
Third: I bought, received and installed the Powerbronze Powerblade windscreen from Great Britain. Within a couple hours of ordering it, I got a shipping notification and within four days it was on my doorstep (how'd they do that - for free?). Anyway, it was the more expensive of the three, but you actually get three windscreens, all the mounting hardware and instructions. You get a base screen that attached to the bike, and the powerblade screen that attaches to the base screen via an ingenious bracket assembly that gives you lots of adjustability and a look that is unlike most other windscreens out there. You also get a taller powerblade screen for touring, I guess. Again, this will be a personal preference thing for most, but for me it's perfect. It complements the looks of the R3GT and blends right in and doesn't seem out of place or overbearing. Besides that, it works really well - moves air effectively and efficiently around my body and I can't detect any buffeting, no matter how it's adjusted. It just works, both in appearance on the bike and in terms of moving air around the rider. I like it! I guess a British windscreen should live on a British bike.
Pictures of all three of these windscreens and other information can be found on the manufacturers web sites. The Puig screen came from Revzilla, but I'm sure it's available from other sources as well. The two screens that didn't work for me are for sale in the classified section for a fraction of their cost, should you like to try them on. Ride safe

I'm an older guy located in the southwest of the US where you can ride 12 month of the year - been on a motorcycle of one make or another for nearly 60 years - and currently the proud owner/rider of a 2021 R3GT among a couple others. Even though the GT comes with a windscreen of sorts, it really doesn't screen much wind. So, one of the first additions/changes I wanted to make was to find a suitable windscreen, and hopefully my search will help someone else in the community who's also looking for a different windscreen. I bought, installed and have ridden with these three different windscreens, so I have the benefit of personal experience with each of them. There are a few others out there, I know, but these are the ones that drew my attention for various reasons and therefore the ones I was willing to pay for.
First of all, these sorts of modifications are like toothbrushes - everyone has a preference and everyone has an opinion about them. And so, the following is just that - my opinion and my preference - nothing more. And again, maybe it will be helpful to someone.
First: I've always been a fan of Puig windscreens and have put them on a number of other motorcycles. So, I bought the small tinted Puig windscreen for the GT. It's just a smidge taller and wider (especially at the bottom end) than the OEM GT windscreen. It's well made, comes with nice brackets and hardware, and has a very nice shape to it (the bottom has the same shape as the dual headlamp arrangement of the R3GT/R). The problem, if you want to call it that, is it doesn't do anything more than the OEM windscreen, and isn't adjustable in any way. If you have an R version of the R3, and you like the minimalist look and aren't looking for much wind protection the Puig might be the ticket for you. I was hoping for more wind protection, so it didn't fill the bill.
Second: The next in line was a Madstad 20" light tinted screen. I was drawn to it because it's larger, has a generous amount of adjustability (both lean angle and height) and it looked pretty good in their pictures. It's well made, comes with nice adjustable brackets and all the mounting hardware required. You can also order several heights, based on how tall you are, and it comes in a clear, light tint and dark versions. The company also has excellent customer service and they solved a minor problem for me, no questions asked. The bottom line was it just didn't provide the esthetics I was looking for - to me it just didn't compliment the looks of the R3GT the way I wanted. So. . .
Third: I bought, received and installed the Powerbronze Powerblade windscreen from Great Britain. Within a couple hours of ordering it, I got a shipping notification and within four days it was on my doorstep (how'd they do that - for free?). Anyway, it was the more expensive of the three, but you actually get three windscreens, all the mounting hardware and instructions. You get a base screen that attached to the bike, and the powerblade screen that attaches to the base screen via an ingenious bracket assembly that gives you lots of adjustability and a look that is unlike most other windscreens out there. You also get a taller powerblade screen for touring, I guess. Again, this will be a personal preference thing for most, but for me it's perfect. It complements the looks of the R3GT and blends right in and doesn't seem out of place or overbearing. Besides that, it works really well - moves air effectively and efficiently around my body and I can't detect any buffeting, no matter how it's adjusted. It just works, both in appearance on the bike and in terms of moving air around the rider. I like it! I guess a British windscreen should live on a British bike.
Pictures of all three of these windscreens and other information can be found on the manufacturers web sites. The Puig screen came from Revzilla, but I'm sure it's available from other sources as well. The two screens that didn't work for me are for sale in the classified section for a fraction of their cost, should you like to try them on. Ride safe
I wholeheartedly confirm the above as to the powerbronze windshield being the best..... by a country mile

I agree 100% with your assessment of the powerbronze adjustable screen. Only thing needed for me was different spacers as the ones given crumbled from heat. Ace nylon spacers are perfect.

Attachments

• 20220109_131514.jpg
    20220109_131514.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 49
Ouch! Mine’s doing fine so far, but I can see how that can happen. Did you get any relief from Powerbronze?
They are researching. I really don't want one of those for other reasons as well. 2 shields instead of one with metal hardware on the upper one.. Not stable in my opinion.

Back