R3GT/R Windscreens - A Review of Three

I'm an older guy located in the southwest of the US where you can ride 12 month of the year - been on a motorcycle of one make or another for nearly 60 years - and currently the proud owner/rider of a 2021 R3GT among a couple others. Even though the GT comes with a windscreen of sorts, it really doesn't screen much wind. So, one of the first additions/changes I wanted to make was to find a suitable windscreen, and hopefully my search will help someone else in the community who's also looking for a different windscreen. I bought, installed and have ridden with these three different windscreens, so I have the benefit of personal experience with each of them. There are a few others out there, I know, but these are the ones that drew my attention for various reasons and therefore the ones I was willing to pay for.
First of all, these sorts of modifications are like toothbrushes - everyone has a preference and everyone has an opinion about them. And so, the following is just that - my opinion and my preference - nothing more. And again, maybe it will be helpful to someone.
First: I've always been a fan of Puig windscreens and have put them on a number of other motorcycles. So, I bought the small tinted Puig windscreen for the GT. It's just a smidge taller and wider (especially at the bottom end) than the OEM GT windscreen. It's well made, comes with nice brackets and hardware, and has a very nice shape to it (the bottom has the same shape as the dual headlamp arrangement of the R3GT/R). The problem, if you want to call it that, is it doesn't do anything more than the OEM windscreen, and isn't adjustable in any way. If you have an R version of the R3, and you like the minimalist look and aren't looking for much wind protection the Puig might be the ticket for you. I was hoping for more wind protection, so it didn't fill the bill.
Second: The next in line was a Madstad 20" light tinted screen. I was drawn to it because it's larger, has a generous amount of adjustability (both lean angle and height) and it looked pretty good in their pictures. It's well made, comes with nice adjustable brackets and all the mounting hardware required. You can also order several heights, based on how tall you are, and it comes in a clear, light tint and dark versions. The company also has excellent customer service and they solved a minor problem for me, no questions asked. The bottom line was it just didn't provide the esthetics I was looking for - to me it just didn't compliment the looks of the R3GT the way I wanted. So. . .
Third: I bought, received and installed the Powerbronze Powerblade windscreen from Great Britain. Within a couple hours of ordering it, I got a shipping notification and within four days it was on my doorstep (how'd they do that - for free?). Anyway, it was the more expensive of the three, but you actually get three windscreens, all the mounting hardware and instructions. You get a base screen that attached to the bike, and the powerblade screen that attaches to the base screen via an ingenious bracket assembly that gives you lots of adjustability and a look that is unlike most other windscreens out there. You also get a taller powerblade screen for touring, I guess. Again, this will be a personal preference thing for most, but for me it's perfect. It complements the looks of the R3GT and blends right in and doesn't seem out of place or overbearing. Besides that, it works really well - moves air effectively and efficiently around my body and I can't detect any buffeting, no matter how it's adjusted. It just works, both in appearance on the bike and in terms of moving air around the rider. I like it! I guess a British windscreen should live on a British bike.
Pictures of all three of these windscreens and other information can be found on the manufacturers web sites. The Puig screen came from Revzilla, but I'm sure it's available from other sources as well. The two screens that didn't work for me are for sale in the classified section for a fraction of their cost, should you like to try them on. Ride safe
A windscreen update, if you will. After a year and 10,000 miles of riding with the Powerbronze windscreen system I’m still liking it - a lot. I modified the mounting of it by replacing the spacers and adding washers front and back where they meet the base screen, which has made it much more stable, even at higher speeds. I cruised 2000 miles this summer on a road trip, with the shorter screen in it’s upper position with no problems, even at higher speeds (80+ mph). Again, no buffeting, good wind protection, generous adjustability and a superior look, in my opinion.

After replacing the supplied Powerbronze bolts with stainless steel button/allen head bolts with nylock nuts I have not had any more trouble with loosening hardware or vibration. I can even ride at highway speed with visor up.

I'm an older guy located in the southwest of the US where you can ride 12 month of the year - been on a motorcycle of one make or another for nearly 60 years - and currently the proud owner/rider of a 2021 R3GT among a couple others. Even though the GT comes with a windscreen of sorts, it really doesn't screen much wind. So, one of the first additions/changes I wanted to make was to find a suitable windscreen, and hopefully my search will help someone else in the community who's also looking for a different windscreen. I bought, installed and have ridden with these three different windscreens, so I have the benefit of personal experience with each of them. There are a few others out there, I know, but these are the ones that drew my attention for various reasons and therefore the ones I was willing to pay for.
First of all, these sorts of modifications are like toothbrushes - everyone has a preference and everyone has an opinion about them. And so, the following is just that - my opinion and my preference - nothing more. And again, maybe it will be helpful to someone.
First: I've always been a fan of Puig windscreens and have put them on a number of other motorcycles. So, I bought the small tinted Puig windscreen for the GT. It's just a smidge taller and wider (especially at the bottom end) than the OEM GT windscreen. It's well made, comes with nice brackets and hardware, and has a very nice shape to it (the bottom has the same shape as the dual headlamp arrangement of the R3GT/R). The problem, if you want to call it that, is it doesn't do anything more than the OEM windscreen, and isn't adjustable in any way. If you have an R version of the R3, and you like the minimalist look and aren't looking for much wind protection the Puig might be the ticket for you. I was hoping for more wind protection, so it didn't fill the bill.
Second: The next in line was a Madstad 20" light tinted screen. I was drawn to it because it's larger, has a generous amount of adjustability (both lean angle and height) and it looked pretty good in their pictures. It's well made, comes with nice adjustable brackets and all the mounting hardware required. You can also order several heights, based on how tall you are, and it comes in a clear, light tint and dark versions. The company also has excellent customer service and they solved a minor problem for me, no questions asked. The bottom line was it just didn't provide the esthetics I was looking for - to me it just didn't compliment the looks of the R3GT the way I wanted. So. . .
Third: I bought, received and installed the Powerbronze Powerblade windscreen from Great Britain. Within a couple hours of ordering it, I got a shipping notification and within four days it was on my doorstep (how'd they do that - for free?). Anyway, it was the more expensive of the three, but you actually get three windscreens, all the mounting hardware and instructions. You get a base screen that attached to the bike, and the powerblade screen that attaches to the base screen via an ingenious bracket assembly that gives you lots of adjustability and a look that is unlike most other windscreens out there. You also get a taller powerblade screen for touring, I guess. Again, this will be a personal preference thing for most, but for me it's perfect. It complements the looks of the R3GT and blends right in and doesn't seem out of place or overbearing. Besides that, it works really well - moves air effectively and efficiently around my body and I can't detect any buffeting, no matter how it's adjusted. It just works, both in appearance on the bike and in terms of moving air around the rider. I like it! I guess a British windscreen should live on a British bike.
Pictures of all three of these windscreens and other information can be found on the manufacturers web sites. The Puig screen came from Revzilla, but I'm sure it's available from other sources as well. The two screens that didn't work for me are for sale in the classified section for a fraction of their cost, should you like to try them on. Ride safe
A5D6BF09-15B1-4AD1-A173-7E016437597F.jpeg

My solution to the Powerblade stability concerns. Creatively bent aluminum supports, steel spacers, longer bolts, and flat washers make it rock solid.

I have the larger of the 2 Powerbronze Powerblade screens on the bike in it's highest position and just did a 2000 mile trip to the north of Scotland (as you can imagine, in all weathers). No issues at all and all the fixings haven't moved or deteriorated, but I will keep an eye on them. Have to say a great modification from ArizonaKid!

I have had the Powerbronze for three years and feel it is an excellent screen and Powerbronze customer service has been outstanding. However two things I dont like about their screen is it is **** hard to keep it clean and no matter the configuration I still get too much head buffeting. After looking around I took a chance and bought a Madstad screen. It is much easier to clean and provides much better wind protection making long rides less tiring. Loving the Madstad so far.

I have had the Powerbronze for three years and feel it is an excellent screen and Powerbronze customer service has been outstanding. However two things I dont like about their screen is it is **** hard to keep it clean and no matter the configuration I still get too much head buffeting. After looking around I took a chance and bought a Madstad screen. It is much easier to clean and provides much better wind protection making long rides less tiring. Loving the Madstad so far.
I am now tempted by the Madstad after reading this! But it seems hideously expensive for what it is (about £150 more (delivered) than the Powerbronze, for less hardware) but I suppose it is worth it if it works. Azisbest - what size screen did you go for and how tall are you? I am just under 6' so I imagine the 20" is what I need. Thanks mate.

How did the Madstad perform in comparison to the Powerblade?

I am now tempted by the Madstad after reading this! But it seems hideously expensive for what it is (about £150 more (delivered) than the Powerbronze, for less hardware) but I suppose it is worth it if it works. Azisbest - what size screen did you go for and how tall are you? I am just under 6' so I imagine the 20" is what I need. Thanks mate.
I’m 6’ and have used (see previous posts) the Powerbronze PowerBlade screen for almost two years - traveled 10,000 miles with it installed and like it a lot, both functionally and aesthetically. I did fabricate add two aluminum support brackets at the top of the inner shield to make it more stable, especially when the top shield is raised, or I have the taller screen installed. That helped a lot and it‘s rock solid, even at speed. I had the Madstad shield installed early on, didn’t like the way it looked or functioned and sold it to a forum member here. For me, the PowerBlade is not hard to clean - both shields are assessable front and back and you have to work around the bracket mechanism, but even that isn’t hard. I also have a small Puig screen that O used for around town occasionally, but it doesn’t provide much wind protection. For me, the Powerbronze screen can’t be beat.

I’m 6’ and have used (see previous posts) the Powerbronze PowerBlade screen for almost two years - traveled 10,000 miles with it installed and like it a lot, both functionally and aesthetically. I did fabricate add two aluminum support brackets at the top of the inner shield to make it more stable, especially when the top shield is raised, or I have the taller screen installed. That helped a lot and it‘s rock solid, even at speed. I had the Madstad shield installed early on, didn’t like the way it looked or functioned and sold it to a forum member here. For me, the PowerBlade is not hard to clean - both shields are assessable front and back and you have to work around the bracket mechanism, but even that isn’t hard. I also have a small Puig screen that O used for around town occasionally, but it doesn’t provide much wind protection. For me, the Powerbronze screen can’t be beat.
I like that mod @ArizonaKid do you remember the spacer, bracket, and bolt sizes you wound up with? thanks

I like that mod @ArizonaKid do you remember the spacer, bracket, and bolt sizes you wound up with? thanks
I used a strip of 1/2” aluminum flat stock that was about 1/8” thick and I bent the ends to about 90 degrees. The top attaches to the top two fasteners on the inner screen (I bent that end to an angle so it was flush to the curve of the screen and used longer fasteners to accommodate the added thickness) and the bottom of the brackets to the front handlebar bracket bolts. I bought two longer bolts and used steal spacers to fill the recessed holes in the handlebar bracket and so the bottom of the brackets had something to fit against besides the handlebar bracket. The bolt, spacers, washers, etc were readily available at Ace Hardware. The aluminum stock can be had at Home Depot or a similar establishment - I just had some left over from another project. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3040.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
Back