R3 Touring 2013 Fuel Filter Location

OhioDavey1

Standard Bore
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
I am in the process of doing my first maintenance on 2013 R3 Touring.
I can't find the fuel filter and, to the best of my understanding, after reviewing the service manual, I believe that it is located inside the tank.
Access through lifting the tank and removing the bolts from the oval access cover.

Am I Missing something? Is this true? I have never found a fuel filter in such a ridiculous location??

Mine has been in there for 55000 miles and still good.
Might take a flashlight and see if anything in tank i guess it depends on where you buy the gas.
If you change it be very careful of the torque on the bolts go lower than the book calls for.

Be easy with this job, dont force assembly in or out, it may bend or break in different places. I run a walbro pump so assembly looks a littLe different but this is the touring assembly. Go easy and make sure gasket goes back down correctly, suggest new gasket along with filter. I have reused the gasket successfully, also new crush washers for fuel line with correct torque. The small nuts that connect to tank as turbo said above dont over torque, people have snapped the studs off.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 12
Be easy with this job, dont force assembly in or out, it may bend or break in different places. I run a walbro pump so assembly looks a littLe different but this is the touring assembly. Go easy and make sure gasket goes back down correctly, suggest new gasket along with filter. I have reused the gasket successfully, also new crush washers for fuel line with correct torque. The small nuts that connect to tank as turbo said above dont over torque, people have snapped the studs off.
That is valuable advice guys, I plan to buy a new gasket and handle with care.

I am in the process of doing my first maintenance on 2013 R3 Touring.
I can't find the fuel filter and, to the best of my understanding, after reviewing the service manual, I believe that it is located inside the tank.
Access through lifting the tank and removing the bolts from the oval access cover.

Am I Missing something? Is this true? I have never found a fuel filter in such a ridiculous location??
I felt the same way when I learned my Harley Electra Glide's fuel filter is inside the tank. :oops:

Back