R3 gas milage dropped from 38 to 20

cj jeeper

.020 Over
Hi all,

In Sept 2015 I blew a rear tire on a trip north of Reno Nevada and took the bike to Reno Triumph for a new tire...my bike was idling a little high so I asked them to check that for me also.

I filled the tank and left to try and catch my group heading for Spokane....
At 80 miles the fuel light came on, I stopped to fill it at 100 miles and it took 5 gallons.
So my mileage had dropped from 38 to 20.

When I returned from the trip I took it to the dealer thinking it would be a quick fix, after trying many things (sensors, injectors etc.) over 15 months and 8 trips for service they are unable to diagnose the problem, this included Triumph North America getting involved....
They have reached the point where they are telling me the bike cannot be fixed.....
This seem beyond believable to me...and has turned into a nightmare...

Anyone else run into this problem?

Yeah I did. After sticking a supercharger on...

All joking aside when your trip meter says 100 miles, assuming you have checked it is actually 100 miles on map?
If this started with a rear tyre change, perhaps something has changed there causing odometer reading to be way off

Last edited:
When you say blew a tyre - did it actually BLOW? or just go flat? Blowing could do some damage.

How are you with TuneECU? - I'd start by disabling the O2 sensor. I assume they've checked the ECU/TUNE etc.
But my experience of dealers is that most have no idea about ECU maps - other than it's what Triumph gives them.
I'd have thought it must smell as if it's running rich. You must be able to feel that difference in mix ratio.
tbh I'm surprised it runs well that rich.

But if I were you I'd find an INDEPENDANT Dyno expert who knows R3's - have them see where it's using fuel.
Somebody here may know of a CA DynoGod.
If all else fails it might be addressable with a PCV by specifically targeting areas of mismanagement (if that's what it is).
But I'd find a good Dyno man.

Yeah I did. After sticking a supercharger on...

All joking aside when your trip meter says 100 miles, assuming you have checked it is actually 100 miles on map?
If this started with a rear tyre change, perhaps something has changed there causing odometer reading to be way off

Thanks...no the standard distances I regularly ride....100 miles RT on Sunday for breakfast mu fuel light comes on half way home after filling up...

When you say blew a tyre - did it actually BLOW? or just go flat? Blowing could do some damage.

How are you with TuneECU? - I'd start by disabling the O2 sensor. I assume they've checked the ECU/TUNE etc.
But my experience of dealers is that most have no idea about ECU maps - other than it's what Triumph gives them.
I'd have thought it must smell as if it's running rich. You must be able to feel that difference in mix ratio.
tbh I'm surprised it runs well that rich.

But if I were you I'd find an INDEPENDANT Dyno expert who knows R3's - have them see where it's using fuel.
Somebody here may know of a CA DynoGod.
If all else fails it might be addressable with a PCV by specifically targeting areas of mismanagement (if that's what it is).
But I'd find a good Dyno man.

Yes it really did blow...Avon with 600 miles on it...

Hadn't thought about taking it for Dyno...thats a good idea I'll mention it to the dealer...

I seem to remember the 02 sensor being the first thing they tried...

What does PCV stand for? Does ECU/TUNE mean the brain or the fuel injection input?
avon.jpg

Hadn't thought about taking it for Dyno...thats a good idea I'll mention it to the dealer...

What does PCV stand for? Does ECU/TUNE mean the brain or the fuel injection input?
avon.jpg

The bike still has all the power on acceleration but it does run slightly rough at cruise.....

avon.jpg

Poor tire!
Lookit all the stuff you have piled onto the poor rubber!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :roll: :D

avon.jpg
PCV = Power Commander V (V being five)
I would go down the dyno path...... probably similar cost but dyno wont be a band aid.

Back