Question about coils

Frosty Rider

Turbocharged
Ride
2010 R III T, 2020 R 3GT, 2001 HD CVO WideGlide
the Suzuki SV site it useless for this information, but i'm betting any money, that isn't the case here, I'm relating to the R3 as it has dual plugs per Cylinder,

Friend has an SV 650 the engine was swapped
- the engine originally had dual plugs per cylinder and two coil packs, 1 for each cylinder
- engine going in has one plug per cylinder
- the wiring harness on the bike is setup for dual plugs

The theory
- I would think it wouldn't matter, as in one signal is being sent to the coil, and the coil is sending the same charge to both plugs at once on the one cylinder, or would I be mistaken and would the coil be sending out a charge to one plug, and then at a given interval it sends another charge to the 2nd plug in the cylinder?
- also would the ECU have to be reflashed for a one plug per cylinder scenario, as opposed to the two plug per cylinder that it is currently setup for, (I would think not, but hey if I knew the answer I would be posting this)

Last edited:
Also, yes he should just buy a rocket be done with it, but given that it is a young pup, he would probably kill himself on the bike in a week, he is a good ****** rocket rider, BUT.

My guess is if you hook up the single plug coils in place of the duel plug coils it will work as is. Depending on how different the engine is, that might be the easy part.........

yes, I really can't see it being that different, I don't think the coil would have enough time to charge and discharge twice in one firing cycle, that is why I would assume that the plugs would both take the charge at the same time, so it should still work for a single plug the same way

Hi Frosty

Its my understanding dual plug systems fire both plugs at the same time, the wires going into the low tension loop, excite the High Tension (HT) loop producing a very high voltage and that tries to find earth and does so through the spark-plug as it bridges the gap to earth.

The benefits of doing this is more complete combustion, on small motors this is not such and issue but with big bores (ie R3's) the spark ignites a flame and this flame wave takes time to get around the cylinder so twin plugs improve this but hey must fire at the same time to be worthwhile.

My only concern (and I may be wrong) is if you used the twin plug coil and only discharged through one sparkplug may effect the plug life a bit as the spark may be much stronger, but if your swapping the coils too it wont matter, other wiser people here will probably know the answer to this

great information, thanks, he is using the single coil packs rather then the dual, so at least my theory appears to be correct on this.
it is a Suzi SV650 interesting bike, I figure he will probably have it trashed by the end of the season, and he wonders why I won't let him ride my rocket

Many years ago when I was developing my 1000cc T160 Trident Engine, I built a six plug head for it, what a nightmare that turned out to be !
A nightmare because I built this six plug head, fitted 511-X5 Mega Cycle cams, set up 10.0:1 flat top pistons and delorto Carbs.
It didn't run right, but which one was causing the grief ?
I eventually got it sorted.

And oh ! the six plug head did make a difference but wasn't worth the effort for the very minimal gain.

I.jpg

I used Kawasaki twin lead coils as we are talking about here, BUT I was told to make sure that I used points ignition coils, not electronic ignition coils, (or the other way around)
I don't know what the difference was but it was important.

I also built/modified a Cylinder block to suit the ½" longer stroke Engine.
(blew that to bits :()

N.jpg

O.jpg

R.jpg

Many years ago when I was developing my 1000cc T160 Trident Engine, I built a six plug head for it, what a nightmare that turned out to be !
A nightmare because I built this six plug head, fitted 511-X5 Mega Cycle cams, set up 10.0:1 flat top pistons and delorto Carbs.

And oh ! the six plug head did make a difference but wasn't worth the effort for the very minimal gain.

I.jpg

I used Kawasaki twin lead coils as we are talking about here, BUT I was told to make sure that I used points ignition coils, not electronic ignition coils, (or the other way around)

N.jpg

O.jpg

R.jpg

I had a T160 back in the early 80`s. It had about 7,000 miles on it and burned oil terribly. My brother got it from me and I helped him tear it down for rebuild. It showed a lot of wear. Not sure if that one just had a hard life (it was in like new condition) or if they weren't very well made.

I.jpg

N.jpg

O.jpg

R.jpg
That is outstanding work Paul. I love the matter of fact way you describe what must have taken hours r and d and machine work . A visionary you are sir !

Back