Prospective Rocket Owner!

Big Davy

Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
Going to be test riding a Rocket next week.
Need something this size as I'm a big lad! 6'7" @ 20st!. Also my other half is 5'11" & let's just say not a stick insect haha!.
Any hints/tips on what to look out for when buying one of these beasts?
Cheers in advance.

One thing I would say is...If you are reading the forum, don’t let all the problems people post about scare you off. There is a lot of information here, but you more than likely will never have any issue...especially if you are looking at a new or late model rocket. Don’t be scared off by the forum. When I bought my first rocket and started reading on the forum I thought...what in the hell did I get myself into!

IMO...Many issue can be related back to riding style, modification, maintenance, where you live (a lot of rain, damp conditions, ocean salt air), etc. Sometimes we self inflict problems on our bikes and never take ownership of the reason why we had the problem to begin with. Most all of the early issue have disappeared. I’m sure others will chime in if you are looking at an earlier used model.

Last edited:
I’m 6’6 and 300 lb. The floorboards or forward controls of the earlier models make the bike feel more open. I’ve had a problem with the windshield, the tall on just made my head bounce everywhere. And the few times my wife’s gotten on with me I had no issues.

Welcome aboard....Personally i would go newer just because alot of issues have been sorted in the later models...You should feel at home on the bike but it does come down to seating...position of the bars...the earlier models footpegs are further forward than the later models so that will affect your posture too. I have a 2016 and find the pegs under me work really well...no lower back problems now. I'm 6ft 1in and 235lb and the bike feels like its made for me. I have added Rivco risers, teebars, different seat etc so you can make them fit you.
Then theres eveything else you could do to enhance the power...but thats another story....:rolleyes:
Good luck with your choice....

I am 5' 9". Can't quite flat foot it, but I still love it. I just had to replace the awful riders backrest (came with it) that was modified for what I assume was a tall dude, to an OEM one.
I did the Rivco Riser thing to pull the handle bars back a bit as many others have. So what ever you get, you're gonna love it. As Tal showed, you can make it your own!!

BTW I have a Touring but still would like a classic to give it company. :banghead::banghead::banghead:.

One thing I would say is...If you are reading the forum, don’t let all the problems people post about scare you off. There is a lot of information here, but you more than likely will never have any issue...especially if you are looking at a new or late model rocket. Don’t be scared off by the forum. When I bought my first rocket and started reading on the forum I thought...what in the hell did I get myself into!

IMO...Many issue can be related back to riding style, modification, maintenance, where you live (a lot of rain, damp conditions, ocean salt air), etc. Sometimes we self inflict problems on our bikes and never take ownership of the reason why we had the problem to begin with. Most all of the early issue have disappeared. I’m sure others will chime in if you are looking at an earlier used model.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, there is a load of info on here & my head was hurting trying to take it all in!!

Back