Problem with LED indicators and burnt fuse

azmerlin

.020 Over
Ride
T Rocker III
Hi,
I have been playing with my almost 2 month old (well to me, it's a 2016) R3 and one of the last things I am trying to do before the insurance kicks in on April 1st and I am ready to take it out is to replace the indicator bulbs with LED's. I started with replacing the rear bulbs and strongly all seemed to work even though I had not yet replaced the relay, so far so good.
I then went for the front and everything died, seems the 15amp fuse blew. I tried replacing the relay but that didn't help, the spare fuse also blew and now I have had to order some more.
Any ideas ?

Are you just replacing the bulbs w/ LEDs or the whole housing?
When exactly did it start blowing fuses,? Only after replacing the fronts?
Try again with rear LEDs and then replace the fronts one at a time and check in between.

Sounds like it's either a shorted LED bulb or a wire is touching something and grounding out causing the short circuit.

Are you just replacing the bulbs w/ LEDs or the whole housing?
When exactly did it start blowing fuses,? Only after replacing the fronts?
Try again with rear LEDs and then replace the fronts one at a time and check in between.

Sounds like it's either a shorted LED bulb or a wire is touching something and grounding out causing the short circuit.
I am only replacing the bulbs and it started only on the front, maybe I will take a look at the wiring.

Did you replace front buckets with LEd housings and remove the bulbs from the parking lamps to make it fit? If so the contacts in the parking lamps housing are shorting out, you need to cut them off and tape up the ends so they can’t make contact

Did you replace front buckets with LEd housings and remove the bulbs from the parking lamps to make it fit? If so the contacts in the parking lamps housing are shorting out, you need to cut them off and tape up the ends so they can’t make contact
I did, put some HD Daymakers, but all this only happened when I started playing with the indicators.

Did you try putting the old bulbs back in the front and seeing what happens? If it works fine with the regular bulbs, put an LED in one side and try it, if it still works try the other LED. If it blows the fuse3 again it's a shorted LED. To make absolutely sure, take that LED and try it in the other side and see if it blows the fuse again.

@Ralsmith has another good point. How long ago did you put the Daymakers in? I like to keep things reversible, so I just coated the parking light housings in liquid electrical tape. That way if I ever want to put it back, I just have to peel it off and the sockets are still there.

Quick update,
I secured the wires for the parking lights in the headlights and replaced the blown fuse.
I also replaced the LED bulbs from the indicators and put back the originals.
Now, the fuse is not blowing, but the indicators are not working, all that happens is the relay just makes a buzzing noise, any suggestions ?

the hd daymakers have their own parking light and u cut and splice however if u did not do this then the original parking light has two wires that will come together (when the bulb is out)and u will have a short.
if the relay is buzzing then i will say u are shorted to ground on that circuit.

Back