Primo Rivera 5&3/4" LED Headlight

Bull 2 seconds is what it takes for the signal to reach your brain. Mean while in less then 1.5 seconds your arse has filled your britches. This is the secondary signal to the brain telling you there is something in the road. So do you fill your britches before your brain realizes you need to kiss your arse good bye ? :D

Not as long as your waist and neck are bent and your eyes are level with the horizon!!! :thumbsup:

Hey, this is a cool conversation.
I have been tested and my daytime alert mental processing time was .8 seconds with a movement time of .2
I remember one of the guys, I think it was Dave Reynolds was the only one with better processing time on the day.
Couldn't believe it when they compared it to Mark Weber whose processing time was .2
Apparently Senna had a processing time of .15 and movement of .1
Can you confirm, does this mean Senna's total reaction time was .25. If so, he really was a freak. He could have, braked, manoeuvred and reaacilirated in less time than it takes me to hit the brakes!

Realizing you are a joker . . . your mentioned times are likely for very simple events requiring less processing time.
Detecting and then identifying a hazard is necessary before an appropriate action can be chosen.
The more complex the situation - the more time necessary and the more we all even out in our abilities.
Detection, Identification, Decision and then Response are all involved in PRT. Generally at night the first two require more time.
Worth noting is that us older folks require more time to detect and identify than the young; however, our experience produces better decisions.

Worth noting is that us older folks require more time to detect and identify than the young; however, our experience produces better decisions.
Nah it's so much easier as we get older - Eyes fail so you don't actually see the hazard anyway - So near misses don't exist. Reaction times are therefore 0s as we don't react.

Eh? - what was that dear? - I dunno sweetheart looked like a Rhinoceros - White or Black? - sort of grey dear - Phew was only an Elephant.

This is a great example of an off-ramp where lighting is never enough. It is also where I hit the Fawn on my FZ1 in Aug of 2011. For @1olbull, the speed limit is 35 here and I was admittedly doing about 45-50ish. When entering the off-ramp to the right, the elevation rises about 20 feet which gives a great feeling on the gas. The area on the right where you see the new construction was all wooded at the time of the crash. I saw the first doe on the right side tree line in the third, sharper curve, (the bestest and funnest curve of the three). Little Bambi was on the inside tire track of that last right turn. I was off the gas before I saw the doe and letting the bike decelerate by engine braking in 3rd gear. I was On the left side of the straight away between turn 2 and 3 when I began my lean to drift to the inside of turn 3, that's when I saw Bambi. In the short distance/time, I was able to lean up to drift back towards center, Bambi countered by spinning that way too, I leaned hard to undercut the critter which was countered by the continuing spin of the fawn and then I leaned back up to drift to the outside of the curve only to be countered by the breaking dancing Ninja assassin. I identified the impact area on the picture and from there I skidded towards the Dale Blvd tarmac and stopped a few feet from the pavement.
So Steve, besides the obvious factor of too much speed coming into these three turns on the off-ramp, I think my reaction time and actions were pretty quick. But then again I was looking and expecting something (usually a truck trailer on the right after the third curve) so I was alert. Do you see anything else in my description from your reconstruction back ground?
While this was a daytime event, I ride this at night often and could really use more light in this situation. I just ride it slower now (most of the time).

Bambi Crashsite..png

Only that you were EXTREMELY correct in straightening up and using your brakes!
A very common error is riders lay it down not realizing you and the motor will slide much farther, resulting in a higher speed impact,
than if remaining on the brakes all the way, resulting in a much lower speed impact if there is one.
I have learned from 40+ years of riding and work experience that if Bambi wants you, she shall get you!

Yep, rubber down, always. Which is one reason why ABS is really quite a lifesaver.

There are some situations, however, where you are better off committing to the corner and leaning harder, not with intent to low-side but with intent to remain on the road/in your lane. Some situations can be avoided entirely by trusting the bike and the tires, it can probably lean more than you think.

Back