Primo Rivera 5&3/4" LED Headlight

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Has anybody tried one yet?

Here's why.

Every test I've done with ROAD LEGAL LED units suggests that the Reflected LED method seems to suit MOTORCYCLES better than the JW-Speaker lens method (which I have on my R3). The Speakers are very good UPRIGHT but lose out when one tilts. I've been viewing tests of the new JWS EvoII units and nothing suggests to me they're any better banked over. They're better in cars - no doubt - but cars don't (usually) tilt in bends.

In bends the Truck-Lite unit I have on my old Guzzi outshines (pun intended) the JWS in the R3. The new JWS obviously have far more main beam light - but that's f*ck all use bank over in the twisties with traffic about.

Also - whilst perusing YouTube - I found some very interesting tests using regarding Plug'n'play LED/HID "bulb" conversions. All show a massive loss in bean precision. Far more scatter. For the uninitiated they LOOK brighter - but put less light where it's needed (as well as pissing folk off). And the Triumph lights do that with a Halogen bulb.

And yes - I've done my own "not so legal" tests too using auxiliary lights - and do know what works and what does not. Drop-in bulbs DO NOT.

To this end I will be developing conceptually BEND/TILT lighting - I'll be using JWS 6150 fog lights as for now they're the tidiest and most cost efficient system I can find. I may need an electrics wizard to help me with some load management. Mr Ecosse maybe.

I spent a lot of time testing HID because I was given lots of kit for free. Sadly nobody wants to give me free LEDs :(

Keep up the good effort, Amigo!
Which JWS are you running?

Keep up the good effort, Amigo! - Which JWS are you running?
Original 8630's. I did consider upgrading to the new 8630's - but they would not have given me any more dip beam than I have really.

When I did the run to my parents in late March I realised how important that tilt lighting thing really is.
It was foul weather, and at night. Could not put main beam on, as the motorway was pretty busy (one forgets in Spain how busy UK roads are).
Using the fogs helps a bit but not that much - because they too are pointing down and not slightly up and to one side.

I could have done with some additional light pointing where I was going. And NO bike lights (except a BMW) do that.
And yes I was more or less legal. The Speakers were OK but I'd be happier with more.

Loads of cars now have adaptive lighting that points where you're going - so why not bikes? - The answer btw is that it's NOT as simple as it looks - ask BMW.
I already have one of these http://hmbe.com.au/products/usb-configurable-tilt-switch - though I wish I'd gone for the gyro stabilised one (it was/is more expensive) http://hmbe.com.au/products/usb-configurable-imu-stabilised-tilt-switch.

The JWS 6150's SHOULD arrive Tuesday. Been moving the Black-Box camera to make room this AM. Nothing is simple.
Tbh the older 6045 Fogs give a broader beam - but they were going to look a bit odd with the 5&3/4" H/lights. The 6150's are 4".

Part of me really thinks an R3 could also handle twin 7" lights - aesthetically. I just can't be bothered to invest and try.

I'll be awaiting the results of your hard work. I've been reluctant to shell out the high dollars for new lights that only solve half the problem. Recently installed aftermarket fog LEDs. Pointed them virtually straight down and out 30* left/right respectively. I find it helps as a temporary fix.

I'll be awaiting the results of your hard work. I've been reluctant to shell out the high dollars for new lights that only solve half the problem. Recently installed aftermarket fog LEDs. Pointed them virtually straight down and out 30* left/right respectively. I find it helps as a temporary fix.
Where did you mount the lights? - Forks or Frame?

I bought the touring fork mounts, then drilled adjusted the fog/lamp mounts to fit to them at the angles I wanted. I don't care to much for the aesthetic properties of the lamps exteriors, but for a test run to see if I could get something to angle the way I wanted, they're good for temporary purposes ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 2
I bought the touring fork mounts, then drilled adjusted the fog/lamp mounts to fit to them at the angles I wanted. I don't care to much for the aesthetic properties of the lamps exteriors, but for a test run to see if I could get something to angle the way I wanted, they're good for temporary purposes ;)
Aha - Here btw is my inspiration http://iris.lib.neu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1022&context=mech_eng_capstone

tilt.jpg

However I'll add rather than change.

They'll also both come on with MAIN beam (or via switch - or both). That'll be a bit odd maybe - we'll see.

Time scale? - depends to no small degree how much pain my orthodontist subjects me to. We are in full rebuild mode.

@barbagris,
Appreciate all your work regarding this MC lighting dilemma.
So, we now have a "NEW" 8630 Evolution model that seems to go for $520.00 EACH!!! :eek:
Sure would like to test a couple of these against my Daymakers, which were $300.00 each.
After some experimenting, I have set my high beams to 1° below level and they seem so far to work well.
I can safely ride at 50 - 55 mph in the true dark before outrunning them. I only get flashed by oncoming vehicles occasionally. :thumbsup:
I do dip whenever I can, but the low beams are only safe for like 40 mph in the true dark.
Seriously considering the Erica from Clearwater near Sacto, CA.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_erica.html

The new Evo can be had for $420, not $520, and the retail on the Daymakers seems to be $399. But keep in mind, the new Evo (which is actually new, not "new" :) ) has 2900 raw lumens compared to literally half that in the old 8630. I haven't seen what the beam pattern is like but I presume it follows what my 8700 Evo 2 did compared to the previous generation - much thicker/higher pattern and much wider as well. The fill light upwards on high beam on the 8700 Evo 2 is pretty amazing too, usually high beam just puts more light straight down the road, these also put light up and outwards.

Of course, anyone riding with high beams on all the time with these is basically a terrorist.

2900 lumens on high beam right in the eye at night would be utterly blinding. Even the original 8630 would be agonizing to any oncoming motorists, I'm sure, even in the daytime. It's bad enough when people do it using normal weak incandescents.

It will be interesting to see where these experiments go. If nothing else you should have fun. :)

Back