Possible problem with Mobil1 M108 oil filter

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Just a heads up:

If you are using Mobil1 M108 oil filters on your R3, there may be a problem. (I have been using them based on info I got in this or another Triumph site.) Twice in the almost 12,000 miles I've put on my R3T so far, the oil pressure light started going on. (The first time was in the middle of nowhere on a mountain road in Oregon.) The oil pressure sending unit was replaced by Triumph under warranty both times. Oil pressure was never actually lost. The second time the oil pressure light started going on I took it to Triumph again since the bike is still covered under warranty. The Triumph service manager noticed that I was using Mobil1 M108 filters and suspected that there may be a difference with that filter that is causing the problem. Looking back over my maintenance log, I noticed that the two times the problem happened, I was using the Mobil1 filter and both times the filter had about 2,200 to 2,500 miles on it when the oil pressure light went on intermittently. Both of those times were the most mileage I had put on he Mobil1 filters and I was nearing the point when I change oil.

This may just be a coincidence, of course, but if you are using that filter and your oil pressure light starts to go on, it may be the filter.

Just to be safe, I'm going with OEM Triumph filters for now.

That is interesting how it did that. I have been running either a M1-108 or M1-110 on my 2013 R3T for over 16K miles and have never had the issue. It could be a filter issue but with as many people that run those filters I would think we would have heard more about it before now.

bob

I believe the problem is a bad batch of ops's my 15' is on the 3rd ops,I use hi-Flo oil filters had more than 42,000mi. On my13' never a problem.

20170707_095856_001.jpg

I reckon you are throwing away money with an oil change every 2,500 miles if the factory spec is 10,000 mile unless you have it in for more than a year each time.

Back