Possible Future Rocket Owner Needs Your Experienced Advice!

I think you're probably going to have to ride them to figure it out. I ride a roadster, and commute on it quite frequently in Denver traffic and I find it's quite manageable. I've also done a few 700+ mile day rides on it without changing anything (though I really need to invest in an aftermarket seat).

Also the only two major things that are different between the Roadster and the Touring are the rear wheel size and the peg position. The touring starts with a lower output but it's all just ECU magic. It can easily be configured to have the output of the Roadster with a $20 cable, so don't let output numbers be a deciding factor for you. Pick the one that fits you and your style best, then modify it as you need.

Hey Germ
I bought a 2013 Roadster for $8500. Kick myself for not going lower.
9500 miles, brand new tires, fresh service, saddle bags, crash bar, highway pegs, HD daymaker head lights and more.
Buyers market used non HD big bikes. Because it listed at a price doesn't mean the selling price.
For me the ABS was important.
Good luck
Jay

Fellas, thanks so much for your thoughts and encouragement! I'm easily consumed by the research of these types of things, so I'm compelled to try to buy one now, before winter hits, and be done with it. I'm wondering if I could get a better deal than in the spring? In the spring, however, maybe folks are wanting to upgrade and are ready to sell their bike quickly? I'm not sure!

I've found a stock 2014 Roadster with about 20,000 miles that is for sale locally for only $6500. I get the feeling it may be been a repo situation but it is in pristine condition. I wonder if I could get them to go even lower?

Of course, I could just wait it out and watch over the winter and snatch one up with lower miles for a steal, perhaps?!

Part of me would like to find one with accessories already added, so I don't have to buy them!

Any more advise or info you can share will be SO very appreciated!

Jeremy

Welcome from central NY State, germ. I'm in the same mode as you.... looking for the right Rocket. Something with low'ish miles and not beat to death. I do 200 - 300 mile trips now and then but plan to go longer in the future as I'm semi-retired. I'm leaning hard towards the Classic but a Touring with the bigger bags would be nice. Decisions decision :confused:

So I have a 2015 Touring. First thing I would say is make sure you get a model with ABS.

The differences between the Roadster and Touring are many. The Touring was built from the ground up and is not a Roadster with bolt ons.

The difference in performance is in the tune and easily overcome. However my experience is the difference is mostly in the top end performance and not off the line. There is nothing more exciting than bringing the front wheel off the ground on an 800 pound motorcycle unexpectedly. I upgraded my tune for performance and the engine just kept pulling till I chickened out at about 140 mph.
There are very few mods that need to be done for the open road. Seat and Airflow over windscreen. Hate the Metz Tires. Check out my Media I have documented most of my changes.

I love the Rocket for the open road be it a day trip or 4 or 5 days of riding.

I hate to take her out for around town and short trips. I have a 2005 Triumph America that still sees a lot of miles.

My bike is Red and Black, but I will agree with you that the Black and White has a true classic look that I love.

I let one of my Harley friends ride my Rocket. When he pulled back in the lot after 15 or 20 minutes the smile said it all. Funny thing is when we go riding with others he is more than willing to tell everyone else about my Rocket.

Detroit is not far from Lafayette maybe our paths will cross. Feel free to reach out to me for any questions.

Welcome from B.C. Canada..
If you have the opertunity take a test ride on the Roadster and the touring. Same engine...two totally different machines. Each has its benefits, still in the end both are eye catchers. I love both my rockets and I don’t think I’ll ever be without one.
Good luck!

If most of your riding is around town then a touring may not be what you want. If you like floorboards, and the 2 tone paint, then a Classic maybe what you're looking for. Youll probably find one for a better price than either the Roadster or Touring. They sit a little lower than the Roadsters, and have a shorter wheelbase than the Touring. Only drawback is they don't have ABS. Viking makes some huge bags that look good on them. I have EZBrackets so I can ride with or without them, Plus a quick release backrest from @Mittzy so I have options depending on what kind of ride I'm going on.

The accessories you want are expensive when purchased new. Consider being patient and find the bike you want already dressed up. You will save a ton of cash. Here is my 2006 purchased new but was priced $5000 off list price because it was a miss shipped bike. (Not sure what that meant, but who cares for 5 grand off.) I dressed mine up with the savings from the purchase price. You should be able to find dressed up bikes that won't break the bank.
Rivco Rocket.jpg

Do not buy the Roadster. It sucks. The big back tire grabs way to easily and before you know it your only on one wheel. The bike rides way to smooth and can let you fall asleep on long trips while riding if you are not careful. It is a known fact that the bike will cause distortions in your face from smiling to much while riding. You never get to work on them because very few things on it head south other then regular maintenance. The gas tank is way to big and distance traveled between fill ups will wear you out. The brakes actually work which eliminates all guessing games when it comes to stopping. Then on top of all its faults whenever and when ever you pull in for gas people are always asking you questions and smiling at the bike. Really irritating. Just giving you fair warning :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Back