Possible Future Rocket Owner Needs Your Experienced Advice!

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Hey, fellas! New to the forum and looking for advise from those of you with Rocket experience!

A couple years ago I sold my Vulcan 2000, which I loved, and bought a fun car in hopes that my young boys and I would be able to go to shows, work on it together, etc. Well, it just didn't catch on, so I sold it and am ready to buy another bike.

I like having a bike that you don't see all the time. Loved the V2K because it was big and powerful and they were pretty rare to see. I don't want a bike that I'm going to see 4 of on the way to work!

The bike will be ridden mostly short trips around town or to meetings, with the hopes of going on 2-3 rides each year with my father-in-law, probably 3-4 days in length each. So, I'll be doing a bit of "touring".

I just keep hearing great things about the Rocket and am super intrigued by them. I would be buying used - hoping to spend no more that $8000.

I LOVE the look of the Roadster in the matte black. I also saw a two-tone touring in black and ivory that was VERY sharp. It's my understanding that the two bikes are different in power output, peg placement, tire size, wheelbase, and overall feel.

Knowing the purpose for my bike and that it will be 100% solo riding (my wife has ZERO interest in riding) which trim would you recommend for me? I think for my longer trips I'd want a windshield and some kind of bags. Wondering if I'd need floorboards or something along those lines, too?

Any advice you can give will be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a solo seat on my Roadster with a Rack behind that , suits me fine on longer trips carrying luggage. I have added Rivco risers to bring the bars back a couple inches , also used to have engine guards with highway pegs mounted, they were great wish i hadnt sold them, oh yeah welcome.

G'day @germ79 welcome aboard, you've hit the Aussie timeslot tonight but we let a few of your compatriots play here too.;):D Plenty of reading ahead of you before you bite the bullet and there is no shortage of info avaialble here in the various forums. Make sure you learn your way around and you will find most of the info you want and much, much more is avaiiable in copious amounts. Quite a few US bikes are offered on our free classified forum with more in the ebay links threads.

I have a solo seat on my Roadster with a Rack behind that , suits me fine on longer trips carrying luggage. I have added Rivco risers to bring the bars back a couple inches , also used to have engine guards with highway pegs mounted, they were great wish i hadnt sold them, oh yeah welcome.
Hey @Wrecka I've got a set of OEM front crashbars which have been grounded through the chrome on both sides but not bent, that you can have for postage/courier and paint black if you want them. Came as a gift from @HansO but not from his big off.

Another option is to put rubber covers on the ground bits from eBay and cheaper than a can of paint at Au$17.85 with free postage too. They may have other shapes too, but these allow fitment where they ground. even when they are still mounted and are probaly a good idea for the usual tipover to stop the bars getting scratched in the first place.

1.25" Universal Mustache Engine Guard Rubber Peg For Harley Touring Yamaha Vstar | eBay

Last edited:
Hello Germ79, my vote is biased as I have a R3T. It is my daily driver and long tripper. I have covered 1,700 miles in 33 hours going from Virginia to Denver and an 8 hour rest; felt good on the far side afterwards. The bike is tuned more for touring but has a truck load of torque the R3R doesn't have down low.
I have taken my pretty pillion on multiple weekend rides, (I know, your doesn't want to ride) but the bike has plenty of room for both our clothes and gear.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you get!

I think floorboards and windscreen are great add ons for a trip. I’ve not ridden a touring model so can only speak for the roadster and can say it is definitely a capable highway bike.
I’d think it’s easier to outfit a roadster for touring (when needed) than to make a touring bike a roadster for ‘round town fun.
My 2cents...which is worth half that.

I think floorboards and windscreen are great add ons for a trip. I’ve not ridden a touring model so can only speak for the roadster and can say it is definitely a capable highway bike.
I’d think it’s easier to outfit a roadster for touring (when needed) than to make a touring bike a roadster for ‘round town fun.
My 2cents...which is worth half that.
@germ79 may not yet realise all of the factory OEM and aftermarket options for panniers, screens, crash/dresser bars, floorboards front & rear and backrests available for models other than the Touring single headlight model.

Back