Pops and shoots flame on decel- what’s it mean?

Drmatt357

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Roadster
I installed the Ramair and Viking pipe. Hans made a map for me and the download went smoothly. I was going to adjust the throttle bodies and gave the throttle a blip and this is what I saw.

Is this a lean condition? Or rich? Or something else...

I tried to upload a video but it didn’t allow it.

This thread has some info, but if you search decel you’ll find a lot of reading on it.

Awful backfiring.....

It means you have an open exhaust, with no cat. Without more info, no one can definitively tell you whether it means rich, lean, safe or unsafe and anyone who claims they can is deluded, lying, or ignorant.

The real and only “fix” is a custom tune, and even then, most open catless exhaust have some degree of popping and some degree of flaming (the pops are flames inside the exhaust).

I will say with high confidence you’re running lean across the whole map, but especially above 5000 RPM, not based on pops, but on hours and hours worth of datalogging a similarly equipped rocket.

I installed the Ramair and Viking pipe. Hans made a map for me and the download went smoothly. I was going to adjust the throttle bodies and gave the throttle a blip and this is what I saw.

Is this a lean condition? Or rich? Or something else...

I tried to upload a video but it didn’t allow it.
Something is messed up. Way to many variables to come up with a fix. Get with Hanso and discuss problems would be a good start. I ride with the same set up on a 2015 Rocket X and have no backfire at all. No flames coming out of the exhaust. It is more than likely a simple fix.;);););););)

At the time this happened, there was an exhaust leak. I fixed it with some silicone as my dealer didn't have the crush washers. I took the bike on a ride for 20 minutes or so and when I came back, no more flames on decel. Does pop a little but actually, that part sounds pretty cool!:laugh::evil:

Last edited:
Something is messed up. Way to many variables to come up with a fix. Get with Hanso and discuss problems would be a good start. I ride with the same set up on a 2015 Rocket X and have no backfire at all. No flames coming out of the exhaust. It is more than likely a simple fix.;);););););)
What map are you running with your set up please

I have the DP Outlaw shorties and Ramair setup. When I put the DPs on they popped and banged like shot. Went to Neville Lush for a Dyno and fixed (to an extent). Nev told me that pipes that short will pop on deceleration, it is the short, open nature of the pipes. Having said that, I can just roll off the throttle now with little to no bangs or pops and just a hearty gurgle. If I slam the throttle off at high RPM it will bang and pop though.

I have the DP Outlaw shorties and Ramair setup. When I put the DPs on they popped and banged like shot. Went to Neville Lush for a Dyno and fixed (to an extent). Nev told me that pipes that short will pop on deceleration, it is the short, open nature of the pipes. Having said that, I can just roll off the throttle now with little to no bangs or pops and just a hearty gurgle. If I slam the throttle off at high RPM it will bang and pop though.
So you have a cope of the map that your running that you can share please

Back