Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Had to replace rear tire at 7000 miles

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • Had to replace rear tire at 8000 miles

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • Had to replace rear tire at 9000 miles

Votes: 19 7.8%

• Total voters
3000 miles to a rear , 6500 to a front .
Prefer the sound of the mileages the rest of you are getting :)

5K and out the door........

I have absolutely nothing to look forward to as 27.7% of the pollsters have replaced their rear tires in less than 5,000 miles. Nothing, that is, except $250.00 plus notes every 5K or less.

Lets see, that means if I rode from here to say Sacramento and I already have 2500 miles on the rear, I'd have to stop in KC (how ironic) and get a new boot on the rear 'cause the old one would be bald. This sounds like "planned obsolescence". I need a car tire.

Wonder if Bandag does a hot cap on a Metzler 880??:D

Tired and almost Re-tired.

Now that I'm fairly certain that I'm going to be changing rear tires like I change my underwear (figuratively speaking:eek: ). I'm curious about something and maybe another poll would be in order.

How many owners change their own tires, let the bike shop do it, have a tire store do it, let their wives do it or delegate the job to their mother-in-laws.

The reason I'm curious is that I have a good friend who repairs all makes and models of bikes (he's a good technician) and does tire work and computer balancing. He just spin balanced my sidecar tire and rim and while I was there I inquired about the R3's rear meat. He told me his Snap-On motorcycle tire machine couldn't handle the big rear on the R3, too much width or something.

I also see Metzler 880's at different sites like Dennis Kirk (catalog) or online JP Cycles at varying prices, but what about the mounting and balancing? Do you tale it to Fast Joe's Tire Emporium or to the dealer. At a tire every 6-10, I need some direction. This is my wallet at stake here.

I believe in supporting my dealer, but I've never seen a tire machine at the dealership and I suspect he sends them out somewhere. Changing a tire isn't a glamorous job. I know, Ive changed a few truck and farm tractor tires in my day. We won't get into the either bead seating here.:D

About 1.5 mm is worn for me , any less and a pull from cops means 3 points on licence , get up to 12 points in 3 yrs means ban , so not worth risk of that , plus it rains a bit in uk so like plenty grip

Best Price

I was just wondering, who has gotten the best price on a rear Metzler, and from who. My time is coming real soon.....

Last edited:
Back