Picked up a new used bike.

Congratulations Dave. Don't see too many Adventurers over here, although there's one for sale as I type. Quite a few T'Birds around though. It was a silver and burgundy T'Bird 900 that reignited my determination to own a Triumph about 6 year ago having admired the original as a kid. I'd love one in my garage, you lucky bastard.

Thanks for the kind words but now I have to get the bloody thing running:D put new battery in it did try to turn over then back to the clicking sound which seems to be coming from the starter soloniod whidh is right nextto the battery(correct me if I am wrong) with the ignition on and sidestand up I bridged the two big posts on the soloniod nothing happened:mad: my electrical skills are limited to putting my wiener in a socket so please help me out.:D

If it's been sitting for a while you could try giving the starter and solenoid a few taps with larger screwdriver handle.. has worked for me in the past.... Or get a couple of mates around and try bump-starting it, then see if it will start on it's own after a short run.

If it has been sitting that long without running you might want to replace the stale gas. Those bikes had a vacuum petcock and to fill the carbs you need to turn the tap to the prime position and press it inward for a minute or so.

It should jump from the solenoid, but if the starter is hung up for some reason, you may just get the click, click as you described. I ended up having to replace the brushes and bushings in my starter on my TBS, but I had a lot more miles on mine at the time. The starter itself is easy to remove, but you have to remove the carbs 1st.. which is not TOO bad. Putting the carbs back in can be fun, especially with 12 year old rubber grommets.. :)

change the gas out, if you have a gas petcock,
remove it and clean the screen.
Pull the plugs, put a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil in there, replace plugs.
clean your battery connections, retighten them.
Crank her up, watch her smoke for a few minutes, ride on...
Just what I'd try, good luck, can't wait to see pics....................

My former 99 Adventurer had some electrical problems. A tender had to be kept on it or it would kill batteries early. Some wiring replacement work had been done that did help.

Back