THECRAIGMEISTER

.020 Over
I have read alot in the Triumph forums about the Rattle. I have an 05' with 1600 miles on it. Bought it with 400 in Vegas and rode it back to Wyoming. So with a few hundred miles around town and not enough time to take any long trips miles are low. I have noticed the Paint can rattle since I bought it. I originally thought maybe it had something to do with the cat converter but now with the offroad pipes and cat bypass it is still there. I called my dealer and told him what I had read etc. The dealer claimed that in rare cases it could be the oil pump? But it was probably my "timing chain tensioner"? I should open up the timing chain tensioner access panel push on the tensioner with a screwdriver, start the bike and see if the noise goes away..... being careful not to let off of the tensioner while it is running. He said if you push on the tensioner to take up the slack in the chain and the noise goes away the tensioner needs replaced?

My question is does this sound legitimate? It sounds like it could be the problem or part of the problem. If the chain was loose couldn't it cause alot of premature wear on the sprockets? Anyway any input is appreciated.......Craig

That's a new one for checking the problem.

This is just one of the many threads on the subject. It is caused by defective key ways which produce wear in the bottom sprocket of the timing chain. Do some research on this and other R/3 related sites, you will find it is well known. I don't know about holding a screwdriver on the tensioner while the motor is running. Lets see what some of the more mechanically inclined wrench heads think. http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=2340

Last edited:
Geore:

With my luck, I'd be pushing in with the screwdriver with the engine running and the tip og the screwdriver would slip off the tensioner rail and get eaten by the chain. That who affair sounds a little risky.

Almost sounds like the dealer isn't up to speed or don't want to be.:eek:

I don't think it can go past? It would just be hard to get my bike there before spring so he was trying to help my diagnose the problem. I guess I will get it to them as soon as I can which may be spring and see what I can get done? It would really be nice if it was as simple as a tensioner but it doesn't sound like that is the cure according to the ones that have had the repair done under warranty? They had the whole front of the motor replaced. Love the bike hope it doesn't cost a fortune to fix if it ever needs repaired?

I don't think it can go past? It would just be hard to get my bike there before spring so he was trying to help my diagnose the problem. I guess I will get it to them as soon as I can which may be spring and see what I can get done? It would really be nice if it was as simple as a tensioner but it doesn't sound like that is the cure according to the ones that have had the repair done under warranty? They had the whole front of the motor replaced. Love the bike hope it doesn't cost a fortune to fix if it ever needs repaired?

More than likely it is the key in to the crank sprocket . I have an 04' model , I took mine in to two different dealers they both said it was the tensioner, but I knew it was more. When I pulled my sprocket off the key was very worn. I dont reccomend you leave this too long.

Last edited:
sproket #

Hey Pedro,do you have the part# for the new sproket??There is some confusion on this form about the part number..Britmans parts list said TRT1140031 and AV8r4funs parts list said T1140049.Anyone know the last generation number for sure?? Jack

Hey Jack,
I got this number from Triumph, they said it was the latest part in their computer at the time and they had no other part numbers listed for my engine number. T1140049.

Maybe you should try Triumph for the part number for your year or engine number. Then you can buy it from where ever, once you have the correct number.
But yes, I too found it confusing to find the correct part number.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

I watched my dealer check this out. What he did was to remove the large nut on the tensioner assembly and pushed fairly hard with a large screwdriver and we heard an audible click as the tensioner moved one notch on the ratchet. He then replaced the nut, restarted the bike and no more noise. I am going to replace the sprocket and keyway over the winter just to be safe.
P.S. the motor was not running during this procedure.

Pedro

Thanks much Pedro,thats the one I've got comming.If It don't fit I'll just wield it on. Ha. My bike is a very early one too so that should be the same one as yours.. Jack

If you are taking the clutch cover off, you may want to check the clutch lifter shaft as well.
As mine had wear marks from the bearings and I replaced it at the same time.

Back