Options for lowering my factory GT seat

When I was a young tacker and didn't like the bulkiness of my brand new Yamaha Virago seat, I removed it completely. I then cut the bum out of a plastic school chair and trimmed it until it fit the frame of the bike. I upholstered it with an unshorn sheep skin. I found it very comfortable. I rode the wheels off that bike until I sold it, with it's brand new factory seat. 😁
DIY upholstery would be my go to, to lower your saddle.

When I was younger a Schwinn bike seat would have been fine. Things change in your 40's, 50's ...60's:(. A few years ago I bought those padded under ware bike shorts to put under my pants for comfort on longer trips. One and done. I looked like a Kardashian when I got off my Rocket with my ass still blocking the #3 lane. Not the kind of attention I wanted stopping off to get gas.:oops:

When I was younger a Schwinn bike seat would have been fine. Things change in your 40's, 50's ...60's:(. A few years ago I bought those padded under ware bike shorts to put under my pants for comfort on longer trips. One and done. I looked like a Kardashian when I got off my Rocket with my ass still blocking the #3 lane. Not the kind of attention I wanted stopping off to get gas.:oops:
Bikers are nothing if not resourceful. Whatever works, imo.

Mean City Cycles in North Carolina does nice custom seat work. Instead of shaving stock foam you might be better off replacing with a thinner better padding. Call this vendor and see if can find a good option.
I just called them, and they CAN'T lower the seat on a 2020 Rocket 3 GT. The guy said it's because of the pan. All they can do is change the padding. Oh well....

I just called them, and they CAN'T lower the seat on a 2020 Rocket 3 GT. The guy said it's because of the pan. All they can do is change the padding. Oh well....
Well... as they say, if you can’t beat them, join them.... time to go the other way.

stomp-08-platform-sneaker.jpg

If they reupholster with a gel/foam combination, they most likely will be able to give you a thinner padding, thus lowering your bum.

If they reupholster with a gel/foam combination, they most likely will be able to give you a thinner padding, thus lowering your bum.
Mean City Cycles simply said they would NOT do anything with the Rocket 3GT seat. Did not want to look at it.
I found a local custom upholstery shop not too far from where I live. Noticed he had done some motorcycle seats. What the heck.. go and ask.
Stopped in to get a quote. Liked the price ($360 with gel insert). He said I needed to be there to get the seat shaped the way I wanted it... and he could do that right away. Why not? He checked how I was sitting on the bike. He took the seat apart.. started cutting and shaping. Put it on the bike. He looked at how I was sitting. Told me to ride it around the block a couple times. "How does it feel?" A bit more off would be nice. More cutting and shaping. More looking and riding.
Did that 3 times. I was really impressed with how thorough he was being.. and how nice it felt to be lower on the bike. Not only helped with me being able to push it around while seated, but the confidence on a tight turn to a parking spot went up as well. The only bummer is he couldn't do the re-cover right away so I had to ride the bike home.. which was a good thing anyway. (some free way miles, rough road miles, etc). Then I took the seat back to him in the car so he could put it on his schedule. It will be next week before I get it back. I told him the pillion was poking me in the hips. He will trim that down as well.
So far.. happy with what is going on. End result to be determined.

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_104259395_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230615_104259395_HDR.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230615_102401496_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230615_102401496_HDR.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 22
Mean City Cycles simply said they would NOT do anything with the Rocket 3GT seat. Did not want to look at it.
I found a local custom upholstery shop not too far from where I live. Noticed he had done some motorcycle seats. What the heck.. go and ask.
Stopped in to get a quote. Liked the price ($360 with gel insert). He said I needed to be there to get the seat shaped the way I wanted it... and he could do that right away. Why not? He checked how I was sitting on the bike. He took the seat apart.. started cutting and shaping. Put it on the bike. He looked at how I was sitting. Told me to ride it around the block a couple times. "How does it feel?" A bit more off would be nice. More cutting and shaping. More looking and riding.
Did that 3 times. I was really impressed with how thorough he was being.. and how nice it felt to be lower on the bike. Not only helped with me being able to push it around while seated, but the confidence on a tight turn to a parking spot went up as well. The only bummer is he couldn't do the re-cover right away so I had to ride the bike home.. which was a good thing anyway. (some free way miles, rough road miles, etc). Then I took the seat back to him in the car so he could put it on his schedule. It will be next week before I get it back. I told him the pillion was poking me in the hips. He will trim that down as well.
So far.. happy with what is going on. End result to be determined.
So good to hear about a businessman who knows his trade and also provides excellent customer service. Something lacking in so many dealings with retailers, these days.
Be sure to get a hand full of his business cards, so that you can recommend his service to anyone enquires about your seat.
Glad that you are getting a mod done that will increase your enjoyment of your big girl.

Back