Options for lowering my factory GT seat

turbotom1052

.040 Over
Ride
HD M8 Softail
Can anyone recommend someone in the United States that does a quality shaving of the seat foam for a 2022 Rocket GT. Im looking for options to perhaps shave a bit off the top and sides to better fit my 30" inseam.

I think the R seat is a tad taller, at least it looks like it side by side.
I would ask the local motorcycle shops who they recommend.

Last edited:
The GT seat sits lower than the R. I have the 3R and also have a 30" inseam.

I'm also cheap despite owning such an expensive bike. :) Despite that, I think I am better able to judge how much and where to take off the excess foam than a custom shop based on my one-time instructions, so I did it myself. It's not difficult.

I would shave a little, try it and shave some more. Now, my seat sits lower and is more comfortable. I found on long rides that sitting in the deep bucket put pressure on the back of my thighs and my legs would start to go to sleep.

Anyway, I did this months ago and still have not permanently reattached the cover, but you'd never know by looking at the seat. I might make one more mod before buttoning it back up.

The GT seat sits lower than the R. I have the 3R and also have a 30" inseam.

I'm also cheap despite owning such an expensive bike. :) Despite that, I think I am better able to judge how much and where to take off the excess foam than a custom shop based on my one-time instructions, so I did it myself. It's not difficult.

I would shave a little, try it and shave some more. Now, my seat sits lower and is more comfortable. I found on long rides that sitting in the deep bucket put pressure on the back of my thighs and my legs would start to go to sleep.

Anyway, I did this months ago and still have not permanently reattached the cover, but you'd never know by looking at the seat. I might make one more mod before buttoning it back up.

When you shaved your seat did you only take off the top, or did you shave down the sides a bit too? Sometimes taking off on the sides allows the legs to gain some vertical length as they are no longer splayed out and running a straighter line down.

Mean City Cycles in North Carolina does nice custom seat work. Instead of shaving stock foam you might be better off replacing with a thinner better padding. Call this vendor and see if can find a good option.

When you shaved your seat did you only take off the top, or did you shave down the sides a bit too? Sometimes taking off on the sides allows the legs to gain some vertical length as they are no longer splayed out and running a straighter line down.
I shaved down the sides too for that reason.

Mean City Cycles in North Carolina does nice custom seat work. Instead of shaving stock foam you might be better off replacing with a thinner better padding. Call this vendor and see if can find a good option.
+1 It is better to replace the standard foam by a thinner one and/or add a slice of "gel".

Back