Thinking about exhaust options

3VEL 1

.020 Over
Joined
Apr 11, 2026
Messages
13
Location
Washington State
Ride
2024 Rocket 3 GT Evel Knievel Edition
Hello all,

I've been doing a lot of research and spending a lot of time thinking about the various exhaust options. Like many, I think the stock exhaust looks great - better than any of the aftermarket exhausts with the possible exception of the Zard. In my opinion, the Zard looks awesome from the right side, but I'd still like to keep the uniqueness of the 3rd pipe on the left, and I don't like the fact that the Zard eliminates the option of adding bags (not in my plans, but you never know).

I've received the latest instructions from Peter for the Meerkat exhaust mod. I love that this keeps the stock look, and I feel like I could do the mod myself, as I am a competent TIG welder and fabricator. The only thing I don't like about this one is the fact that I am aware of the extra 25 pounds I would still be carrying around. Keep in mind that this is just a mental thing for me. I'm not a racer, and I doubt I would ever feel a performance difference by reducing the weight. I lie awake at night thinking about meaningless things sometimes.

This brought me back to the Competition Werkes exhaust. I think this one looks fine from the right side - not quite as great as stock or Zard, but not bad either. I hate the open gap on the left, and the fact that it is a 2-pipe exit instead of 3.

So I got to thinking - could a Competition Werkes exhaust be modified to add a matching 3rd pipe on the left side? My idea is to install the 2-exit Competition Werkes pipes on the right as standard, but add a custom crossover pipe, welded to the CW assembly, crossing over to the left side, and end it with a 3rd CW muffler. I would likely need to fabricate a bracket and weld it to the 3rd CW muffler to support it. I would try to use the stock mounting hole on the left side.

To attempt this, I would probably need to purchase 2 complete Competition Werkes exhaust systems, unless they will sell me just a 3rd muffler part by itself. In either case, it would be a considerable investment that may not work out at all. I don't know if a CW muffler will even fit in the space available over on the left side. It might also need to be modified to exit out to the side rather than straight out the back. There may not be space available for the crossover pipe to attach to the standard CW exhaust. And the kickstand still needs to stow away properly.

Has anyone else thought about this, or tried something similar? The closest thing I have found is the 3-into-3 Patriot from Dave Platt Exhausts (dot com). Here are a few pictures of that system. The thing this adds is a single "box" collector, with 3 pipes coming out of it. I prefer the "straight pipe" look of the Competition Werkes over this, but I still want the 3rd exit. Maybe I want too many things. :)
 

Attachments

  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Patriot Exhaust 12.jpg
    Patriot Exhaust 12.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Patriot Exhaust 8.jpg
    Patriot Exhaust 8.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 6
If your not replacing the full exhaust your not doing much other than a cat delete. Carpenter and Vandemon sell full systems. Some guy was on here too.
 
Back
Top