azccj

.020 Over
Yesterday I went on a 500 mile trip with the R3. Boy, does my ass hurt , I need to start looking into a different seat with a backrest on it. Anyway, while I was out and about I noticed that oil spray was covering my left exhaust heat shield . Upon further inspection the oil appears to be originating from somewhere under or behind the oil tank. I don't think it is coming from the cylinder head but maybe from the oil tank where it connects to the engine case. Anyone else have this problem and if so how hard is it to remove the oil tank and replace the o-rings? I don't plan on taking it back to the dealer unless it is something major and even then I'm not sure I would. I don't like letting anyone else touching her as it always seems they cause more damage than they fix:eek:. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, that is not an uncommon problem. Could be caused by one of two things. If it is a new bike it could be cosmoline that they are coating in prior to shipping. If the dealer doesn't prep too good it will liquify when the bike gets hot and look like an oil leak. Or it could the O-rings on the oil tank you mentioned.

I had a simular spray from the time mine was new. It was coolant and not oil and covered the same area like you mentioned. I'll assume you can distinguish the difference, but tell you what I encountered. My dealer first thought it was from the coolant overflow. It has a rinkydink "O" ring on the top that can spill if the bottle gets to full or leaned over to far. That wasn't my problem, I had a bad solder job on the neck of the radiator(radiator replaced under warranty). Another place to check is the radiator cap itself. Double check to make sure it's not antifreeze it can make a dust collecting mess also.

My ass hurts too but it ain't the seat that does it.......................

If she's blowing back on the muffler with any quantity it isn't the preservative that Triumph sprays on for the voyage over here in the container. That stuff tends to run down the side like frosting on a sundae. It's either the coolant bottle (check the spring clamps) and the equalizer hose between the filler neck and the overflow bottle or the tank sealing rings. You should be able to peer under the tank and see the feed tube if you look closely with a good penlight. If it's leaking, it will be wet and if it is and you don't have a shop manual, get one. You'll need it to take it apart and get it back together correctly. Remember, correct torque counts.

I don't think it is coolant, looks like oil. Tomorrow I will wash the bike down after sprying the suspected area with simple green degreaser. After it drys I plan on sprying some foot powder stuff that has talcom powder in it, then run it for a few minutes and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to see where the leak is originating from and take it from there.

Trying rubbing at it with your finger nail (gently). If it comes back feeling waxing... then it's the cosmoline that Pigr mentioned.

When I first got mine, I freaked out the first day and took it back to the dealer because 'I had an oil leak.' It wasn't oil, it was cosmo melting...

Check it out...

Last night in the shop while de-filthing the Rocket (to Jack's delight), I noticed that the hose that runs from the filler neck of the radiator to the expansion bottle was about chafed through. It's been rubbing on the weldment that mounts the Rivco tip over bars. I replaced the hose and put an outer wrap of fuel line over the portion where it rubs the bracket and a couple of black Catamount zip ties.

I don't think it is coolant, looks like oil. Tomorrow I will wash the bike down after sprying the suspected area with simple green degreaser. After it drys I plan on sprying some foot powder stuff that has talcom powder in it, then run it for a few minutes and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to see where the leak is originating from and take it from there.

My bike had this type of oil leak at 1500 miles. It was the rear tube of the oil tank. My dealer replaced both sets of o-rings. If its under warranty let them do it. Does simple green work as well as S100?

Markc

My bike had this type of oil leak at 1500 miles. It was the rear tube of the oil tank. My dealer replaced both sets of o-rings. If its under warranty let them do it. Does simple green work as well as S100?

Markc

Marky....Purple Power works better than Simple Green or S100 and it's a helluva lot cheaper. You can buy a gallon at Tough **** Charlies for around 5 bucks. It's in the automotive section by the oil filters (Every TSC is laid out the same as farmers for the most part get lost easily).:D

purple power

Marky....Purple Power works better than Simple Green or S100 and it's a helluva lot cheaper. You can buy a gallon at Tough **** Charlies for around 5 bucks. It's in the automotive section by the oil filters (Every TSC is laid out the same as farmers for the most part get lost easily).:D

Flip,

OK to use purple power just like S100. Spray on and hose off in about 5 minutes. Ok for painted and non-painted surfaces?

MarkC

Back