The saga continues.

A couple of days after the first service I noticed a drop of oil on the sump plug. I thought they might not have tightened it properly after changing the oil so I rode back to the dealer.
They had a look & said a leak seems to be coming from behind the oil tank. They ordered some parts (O-rings I think) & told me it was ok to ride until the parts came in.

3 weeks later the parts arrived. When they removed the oil tank they found it wasn't the O-rings but the head gasket.
Apparently they had to email Triumph to ask them whether to try tightening the head down or replace the head gasket.

Another couple of weeks later I took it back to get the head bolts re-tensioned. It was still leaking so now they had to send Triumph another email to get approval to replace the head gasket.

Guess what? No head gaskets or studs in Australia so had to order parts from the UK which took 4 weeks.

The bike went in today to get the head gasket replaced. I got a phone call from the Service department this afternoon saying that when they went to replace the head gasket they found that the cam cover was warped by at least 4mm.

Hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow about how long it's going to be in the workshop this time.

Sorry about your luck with that, atleast its covered under warranty. Mine was leaking from the same area after the first service also.Was told to degrease it as well and It hasn't started back yet and i hope it doesn't!!

That really sucks, but I guess that it is good to happen during warranty period. Good luck with it...

I hope they get it sorted quickly for you, so are they now thinking that it's not the head gasket at all and it's leaking from the cam cover? There have been a few with cam cover issues and blown out seals, oil leaks etc caused from this.

I did my own tune up at 10,000 miles. The cam cover was not leaking but was no were near torque down correctly. One or two bolts were real tight and a few were almost loose. Yes we took the time to check valve clearance.The valve clearance was fine but the cam cover could have very easily become a problem.

I did my own tune up at 10,000 miles. The cam cover was not leaking but was no were near torque down correctly. One or two bolts were real tight and a few were almost loose. Yes we took the time to check valve clearance.The valve clearance was fine but the cam cover could have very easily become a problem.
I had a blown out cam cover gasket at 10,000 miles on my '14 Roadster. Dealer replaced it under warranty no problems. In fact, when I called them up and told them about it, they went ahead and ordered a new gasket immediately. Apparently the problem is so common that Triumph didn't require that I first being in the bike to get it checked out. :eek:

Valve cover bolts are often loose on the Rocket. Mine were and I had oil residue coming down just ahead of where yours is leaking. Oil runs down giving the VC gasket giving the impression it is coming from the head gasket. You rarely get oil leaks from a head gasket. Typically you would see anti freeze leaks.

Snug down the valve cover gasket and you should be fine.

Back