Oh no! Not another shim removal tool post.

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
:banghead:

You are probably sick of the shim tool, but I thought I would post one more version I made.

I fabricated one of the posted tools for Paul, but he expressed some concerns with the tool ideas. He was concerned about having only one of the screws in place on what he described as a somewhat fragile ladder. When turning the cams to depress the valves he thought it might put undue stress on the one and only bolt holding things in place before installing the tool and tightening it down to hold the bucket down. Correct me if this is wrong @Joesmoe

To solve the problem, I revamped the posted plans and made the fingers longer to compensate for the height of adding a M6 bolt and flange nut first before turning the cams to depress the valves. I also put a small bend in the fingers to position the two bucket fingers in the same spot on the bucket where the posted straight leg tool would have landed.

I used a 2" wide concrete mounting bracket from Menards (as shown) and laid it out as to how it had to be cut. Hacksaw time! I drilled multiple small holes at the inside of the bracket bend and was able to snap the the center finger cut out. There was some work with a file to smooth things out.

I found some M6 X 60mm set screws (Amazon) to be put in to replace the removed ladder bolt... you then could tighten things down with a flange nut before bolting the shim tool down on top of the other flange nut. The feet have 1" curves ground on the tips to better match the lip of the bucket. The edges are sharp and crisp. The shim tool as a whole can be shortened, holes elongated, washers added for spacers, fingers bent...whatever... for a perfect fit... I hope.

Since the idea has not been tested by anyone yet, it remains to be seen if it will work. Based on other posted plans, I see know reason why it shouldn't. Lots of room for personal tweaking when the time comes. Pictures

Attachments

• 83 Degree Line.jpg
    83 Degree Line.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180723_145632.jpg
    20180723_145632.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180723_145802.jpg
    20180723_145802.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180723_145854.jpg
    20180723_145854.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180723_150133.jpg
    20180723_150133.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180723_141356.jpg
    20180723_141356.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 20
:banghead:

You are probably sick of the shim tool, but I thought I would post one more version I made.

I fabricated one of the posted tools for Paul, but he expressed some concerns with the tool ideas. He was concerned about having only one of the screws in place on what he described as a somewhat fragile ladder. When turning the cams to depress the valves he thought it might put undue stress on the one and only bolt holding things in place before installing the tool and tightening it down to hold the bucket down. Correct me if this is wrong @Joesmoe

To solve the problem, I revamped the posted plans and made the fingers longer to compensate for the height of adding a M6 bolt and flange nut first before turning the cams to depress the valves. I also put a small bend in the fingers to position the two bucket fingers in the same spot on the bucket where the posted straight leg tool would have landed.

I used a 2" wide concrete mounting bracket from Menards (as shown) and laid it out as to how it had to be cut. Hacksaw time! I drilled multiple small holes at the inside of the bracket bend and was able to snap the the center finger cut out. There was some work with a file to smooth things out.

I found some M6 X 60mm set screws (Amazon) to be put in to replace the removed ladder bolt... you then could tighten things down with a flange nut before bolting the shim tool down on top of the other flange nut. The feet have 1" curves ground on the tips to better match the lip of the bucket. The edges are sharp and crisp. The shim tool as a whole can be shortened, holes elongated, washers added for spacers, fingers bent...whatever... for a perfect fit... I hope.

Since the idea has not been tested by anyone yet, it remains to be seen if it will work. Based on other posted plans, I see know reason why it shouldn't. Lots of room for personal tweaking when the time comes. Pictures

Looks pretty spanky ! I bet it would work good.

Not worried about stress on the bolt -- concerned about stress on the newly unsupported ladder at a location of maximum stress (when the valve is depressed).

Sounds like his design takes care of that very issue.. "made the fingers longer to compensate for the height of adding a M6 bolt and flange nut first before turning the cams to depress the valves."

I want one- how much? The one I attempted to make based on the old design was crap- not because of the design, but my fabricating skills.

Sounds like his design takes care of that very issue.. "made the fingers longer to compensate for the height of adding a M6 bolt and flange nut first before turning the cams to depress the valves."

I want one- how much? The one I attempted to make based on the old design was crap- not because of the design, but my fabricating skills.

Lol...My arms got tired from hacksawing and filing. Not too hard to make.. just time consuming. I would love to make them, but I lack the proper tools to do it in any kind of an easy way. The brackets are pretty tough and not band saw blade friendly. I made one for Paul for the cost of material and shipping as well as one for myself. Still needs to be tested and at the rate I am putting miles on my bike it will be a long time before that happens. Still may need some minor tweaking

Maybe I should make a couple and loan them out to people in need. :rolleyes:

I'm disappointed with the oil leaking from the valve cover gasket, so I will have the opportunity to test this sooner than I had hoped.

Sorry about your continued problem I have been following. Maybe something good will come out of it in the end like verifying the tool will work. You must be getting pretty good at pulling the valve cover. :(:banghead:

I love these things. Your version definitely has some improvements.

You don’t need to turn the cam to depress the valve... just tighten down the bolt, doesn’t take much torque, the valve springs are pretty soft.

I just hope it will work. I couldn't even begin to make one without everyone contributions on the forum with drawings as to size and shape. Great teamwork on the forum solving problems! An endless pool of information and ideas. ;):thumbsup::D

Back