Of course... Ignition Switch Maybe?

Hemi_Guy

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph R3 Touring
Hey all,

2011 R3 Touring

I changed my spark plugs last night and put everything back together, it was late so I didn't bother starting the bike until this morning.

Turned the key and everything lit up as normal, hit the starter and I heard a short click as though the starter wanted to engage then everything blinked out and came back on as though I just turned the key, hit the starter again and everything went dead and stayed that way.

I went through the electrical the best I could, battery, fuses, reconnected everything under the tank that I touched, check pins in connectors, checked for pinched or cut wires, bypassed my Power Commander, nothing. Complete electrical failure, even accessory circuits.

I confirmed power was present at the fuses, especially the 30A that feeds the ignition switch. Pulled the ignition switch and opened up the bottom, nothing looked melted, grabbed the multi-meter and checked pins with switch off then on, everything seemed to make connections as seen in the electrical diagram for the bike.

I can see multiple threads discussing Ignition switch failures but I could use any insight you may have.

Three weeks into this bike and this, not happy.

Thank you,

Paul.

That is classic poor battery. It will do everything you ask until you hit the starter button and then it says, No Way!! I don't know how old your battery is or if you keep it on a trickle charge but that is the first place I would look. If you have a charger, charge it up and if it starts ride to the store and get a new one. :)

bob

edit: I just reread and you have only had the bike for 3 weeks, I would replace the battery for sure, you have no idea what kind of loving it has gotten or not gotten recently.

Shake the rocket, works every time......

So, you’re second owner. Kudos for changing plugs, did you also change oil, filter, diff fluids...following service interval? Likely second battery, you get to install third. Likely time for new tires and you are set. Enjoy!

If concerned about the ignition switch, I just installed the EB bypass harness in my classic. Straight forward install, lights appear brighter, consider doing same.

First.... You all are absolute geniuses, it was the battery. Second... THANK YOU! I was just about to pull the trigger and buy a new ignition switch. This was a case of "Chicken Little and the sky is falling". I replaced the spark plugs and was absolutely convinced I caused the issue somehow, I hate coincidences.

The battery (with no load) had a float voltage of 12.3v, I was sure it wasn't the battery, never stopped to measure the voltage when all the harnesses were plugged back in.

Where can I find more information about this EB bypass?

Last edited:
First.... You all are absolute geniuses, it was the battery. Second... THANK YOU! I was just about to pull the trigger and buy a new ignition switch. This was a case of "Chicken Little and the sky is falling". I replaced the spark plugs and was absolutely convinced I caused the issue somehow, I hate coincidences.

The battery (with no load) had a float voltage of 12.3v, I was completely convinced it wasn't the battery, never stopped to measure the voltage when all the harnesses were plugged back in.

You can do a search on here about it......but..... with a 2011 R3T the chances of you needing it is actually pretty slim I believe. I think by that time it had been fixed and I never really heard of a Touring model having the issues. By all means if it makes you feel better buy one and install it. I think the saving grace for us Touring owners is we only have one headlight. I could be wrong, we will see what others have to say.

EB = Eastern Beaver

bob

The battery (with no load) had a float voltage of 12.3v, I was sure it wasn't the battery, never stopped to measure the voltage when all the harnesses were plugged back in.

Go with a @DEcosse keyless ignition it's plug and play and the cat's meow

Glad to see a new battery fixed your problem.

Just a comment. You stated you checked the battery and it was 12.3 volts. That means it's pretty well stone dead.

Back