Not done, but looking for suggestions...

+3 on the WD40. I learned of that miracle stuff back in the 80s when I was stationed in Mayport FL. I was going on a six month deployment and living a block from the beach was concerned about my 1967 Triumph TR6C getting corrosion on it. We had only a carport in the Navy housing and the prevailing winds were from off shore. The local vintage Triumph guy told me to spray the entire bike, paint and all, and cover it. I did so and it came through beautifully. Well, not quite. I neglected to spray the front hub and it rusted.

Bad ass exhaust Paul. I'm liking that a lot.

Last edited:
Lear Chemical Research Corporation

I was put onto it by guys in the aviation restoration world. It is very "creepy". A little goes a LONG way.
I know there are companies in the UK that use it to winter-ise bikes on a commercial basis.

My personal recommendation is to apply - leave 24 (more if you can) hours. Then wipe any surplus off before riding or subjecting to dirt/water. If you are not riding after application - just leave it. The finer the mist - the better.

Yes there are better anti-corrosion products out there. I use BOESHIELD T-9 for marine applications. It's sold at places such as West Marine. I use it on my boat motors and trailer fittings. I also spray a coating on my anvil in the winter. I keep it outside the shop under an overhang. No more rust. I still keep a couple of cans of WD-40 on the shop shelf though.

When I sprayed the WD-40 on my old Triumph, I'd leave the mist on but will definitely wipe it off on my black Rocket engine.

Back