ALL 4 BULBS? - incl position - all share the same earth wires.

Until otherwise proven all electrical faults ARE earth faults.

Try running an additional direct earth from the rear of either H4 bulb to the frame/engine.

Trace the cabling back under the tank. Those earths have to go somewhere - you may find a loose connection from loom to frame.

Last edited:
Just been looking at the wiring diagram.

Check pin 10 on the instrument wiring plug - main wiring side. The earth from both headlamp looms seems to "common" to there.

If in doubt add an earth - you can't have too many earths.

Hit any big bumps on your trip?

Only way to confirm your bulbs is to put one in that you know is good (i.e. new from store). I lost both headlights, highs and lows on a bumpy road this summer.

FYI - I have the additional relays from Eastern Beaver installed as well.

Calm down Lupe.
I threw her on the trailer and have her at the shop. It's a long drive but it should be fixed quickly.

Thanks for all the replys.
Great!! keep us posted on what the problem was and how they fixed it, will help you install the EB at RAA

when you get it fixed you (or some one else) can flip the dimmer switch and see if they can hear where that relay is at. also if you can get a finger and a thumb on it you can fell it when the relay entergises
i was thinking about putting one of those roadster relays on my classic and hanso advised me that it would then put stress on the dimmer switch. so i went with the two relay system.
herman

Thanks Lupe. Morris will show me how to do the EB when we get to his house tomorrow.
AFAIK - the Roadster as of MY2011 comes with a factory "EB" type relay system fitted. It was a free upgrade on 2010 Roadsters. ASK your dealer. Yes the switch now has more load to cope with.

ALSO - and from first hand experience. Relays HAVE A DOWNSIDE if they fail with contacts closed - suddenly you have 10amps flooding through the earth. And the plastic bulb contact holders melt. I used 25amp relays and the contact arc was enough to weld one closed. Suddenly both beams on at once. Use BIG relays - I suggest 40Amp contacts.

Last edited:
Back