New to the Rocket III Roadster with questions

Very happy :D. It's great to be able to make changes without having to go to a dyno every time. Plus the AF tables you sent really woke the beast up. I'm still not seeing those second gear wheelies some are saying they get, but there is much improvement over the stock tune.

I am having a similar problem with the 2780's im using that installed last night. I loaded Hanso's ecu tune and then the blank power commander map with afr values for auto tune. Im getting some noisy knocking from the intake in certain throttle and rpm ranges. I do have the bear claw on over the filters which may echo the noise but it is discouraging to say the least. A knocking high performance engine is ussually no bueno. also quite a bit of backfiring on decel from high rpms. I was curious if we are supposed to disable the oxygen sensor in autotune or not. I think it may be counter productive to have the ecu making trim adjustments along with the PC5. If anyone knows if disabling the oxy sensor in the ecu is a bad idear or not?

Also before the pod changes i have seen autotune lean fuel/air mix tables into the -40's which in my case has caused dead throttle spots for me.

I'm not sure why the previous owner would install a PC5 and AT on a stock configuration... that seems like a fantastic waste of money.

On the bright side, if they're already on the bike and you know you want some exhaust changes, it saves you the money! Unless I'm mistaken (which I very well may be) the cat is located in the collector between where the 3 headers come together and where the 2 mufflers split off. You can buy the Triumph Off Road silencers which will give you a nice sound, but they are just slip on so you won't be eliminating the cat. Some folks on here should have experience doing a cat delete on the stock Roadster system but to my knowledge Triumph does not offer a factory solution (for the Roadster... I understand they have something for the Classic that might be modifiable to work).

If you remove the cat and put on the TORs you should consider opening up the intake as well. Removing the stock air system and putting K&N filters directly on the throttle bodies seems to be the most accepted method. This is inexpensive but DOES generate quite a bit of new noise out of the left-hand side of the bike. I love the sound, but it bothers some. There are tons of threads on both the exhaust and air mod topics, and lots of helpful knowledgeable folks here as well.

As for available exhausts, I've found only a handful.
Reband (of Australia) makes a full system for about $1800, Carpenter Racing has their Brute full system for $1200, Zard makes a couple for about $58,439,424,309,487.99 (plus tax), Jardine "makes" a pipe for $1500 but don't expect to see one ship for a year or so.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd say look at Staintunes. They have exceptional quality and make a nice collector and muffler that fit the stock headers. If you're trying to escape for under $1000 you may be out of luck, though.

Good GOD . . . $1800 *** that. $1200, *** that too! I think about anybody can come up with a decent alternative then balance things out on the dyno. J&P has a lot of options.

Last edited:
You should be good with what you have. The auto tune will... automatically tune to the intake/exhaust set up. You will need to go in and accept the new trims a few times though. Enjoy the extra power. :D

I have the Pipercross intake, and drilled my exhaust twice. Hanso's tune has worked great with the PCV/AT every step of the way.
Drilled your exhaust? What does that mean? Did you modify your stock exhaust?

Back