New to forum and looking at buying a 2005 R3

Roach

Standard Bore
Ride
Friends bikes
Have been riding my mates Thunderbird custom after I sold my bike and he has now sold his too. Now looking for a R3 for myself. Have ridden one and am a fan. Looking at at 2005 version now (need to confirm YOM). Any tips on what to look out for would be gratefully received, or if I should look at later models. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello Roach and welcome from Virginia.
I ride an R3Touring, which by Triumph standards is built for long rides. And I agree with that idea as I have had several 10-12 hour das in the saddle. A full tank of gas will get you about 2 hours between tanks at 85MPH.
With that said, any pre-2020 Rocket can be made for touring. There are many bags out there and windshields that work on the beast. (The 2020 models are no longer cruisers but instead Speed Triples on Steroids as per the factory).
Ask if the update kit has been installed on the older bikes. If not, you may have a not of trouble when second gear goes.

Also see if they have installed an Eastern Beaver bypass, or something similar to take some of the electrical load off the starter switch. If not, that should be one of your first mods for dependability.

Hello Roach and welcome from Virginia.
I ride an R3Touring, which by Triumph standards is built for long rides. And I agree with that idea as I have had several 10-12 hour das in the saddle. A full tank of gas will get you about 2 hours between tanks at 85MPH.
With that said, any pre-2020 Rocket can be made for touring. There are many bags out there and windshields that work on the beast. (The 2020 models are no longer cruisers but instead Speed Triples on Steroids as per the factory).
Ask if the update kit has been installed on the older bikes. If not, you may have a not of trouble when second gear goes.
Also see if they have installed an Eastern Beaver bypass, or something similar to take some of the electrical load off the starter switch. If not, that should be one of your first mods for dependability.
HI Steel,

thanks for the advice and for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Cheers
Roach

HI Steel,

thanks for the advice and for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Cheers
Roach

Hi Boog,

thanks about the tip on 2nd gear. Had a look at a 2004 model last night and that precise thing had happened. The bike hadn't been running for at least the current owner and it was partly stripped down and missing parts. Thanks again for the heads up.

Cheers,

Roach

Hello and welcome from across the ditch Christchurch New Zealand.

I have an. 06 Rocket which had 2nd gear slip so got the entire update kit installed cost near on 6k in kiwi dollars so you might want to look for an 08 and later unless you find one that has been updated. Enjoy looking.

And that 04 could be worth buying as @Ishrub probably will be able to sell you all the missing parts he has a cave full.

Back