New to forum and looking at buying a 2005 R3

Hello and welcome from across the ditch Christchurch New Zealand.

I have an. 06 Rocket which had 2nd gear slip so got the entire update kit installed cost near on 6k in kiwi dollars so you might want to look for an 08 and later unless you find one that has been updated. Enjoy looking.

And that 04 could be worth buying as @Ishrub probably will be able to sell you all the missing parts he has a cave full.
Thanks for the heads up and for the link. Have decided to keep looking as I am in no rush and want to buy a decent bike, even if it needs work. Cheers

2005 = 15 years old. Lots of variables.
How many miles on it?
Is it a private sale? By original owner? A 80 year old granny or a younger hoodlum riding it hard?
The 2004 through Q1 2007 have a 4-11% chance of having a torsion assembly bearing on backwards from the factory and you cannot tell externally.
The issue sometimes shows up as an oil leak around the rubber boot on the rear left side where the drive shaft connects but it could leak on the highway and not be noticed and may eventually dry up.

Ask them if the Triumph Upgrade Kit has been installed. In the first several years when the bearing disintegrated Triumph would send the kit to the dealer and they
would install the bits at Triumphs expense. One telltale sign is if the lower left rear cover does not match the engine the fix was probably done. The dealer can
run the VIN and if the kit was done by a certified shop it will show up.

If the kit was done it brings many components up to later 2007 standards. Yeah! Good to go.

If not you run the small risk the torsion damper bearing(s) could fail. It usually happened 15-25,000 miles but the record is 80,000 (me). I've heard of one at 60K and 40K.
In other words if the bike has over 30K then the odds drop significantly but not zero.
Not to scare you but unless you can do the work it is at least a US$1,000 to $3,000 repair depending on how many components you want to replace along with the bearings.

Was it parked inside with AC or left in 100 degree Aussie heat and dust storms? Check for dried rubber parts.

Early models were susceptible to Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) failures - maybe 20%. If it starts, idles evenly around 850-900 RPMs and takes off smoothly it's probably OK. If it is very low mileage and a garage queen it could have one of the crappy sensors - around US$180 + labor or you have to learn how to do it yourself (not so bad).

As others stated the detent spring was prone to breaking causing shifting issues. make sure it goes up and down all gears at various speeds smoothly (well except for
1st - prepare for a loud clunk LOL).

Anything can be fixed but its best to know up front to use as leverage in the final negotiation.
So the other things to look for are any custom mods (intake, exhaust etc.). Just for awareness and dealer may not be able to help if they break.

Other mods are seat, shocks, fork springs for readability and comfort as many people upgrade these. If it's done great but if you end up wanting/needing those enhancements expect to pay US$1,200 or more.

That's it off the top of my head. You can search this forum for other recent similar questions as a lot of people are looking at Rockets this year.

In short, if the price is right buy it but have a buffer of funds set aside. If it doesn't need repairs you'll have cash for mods, mods, mods!!

This is what happens when the damper bearing fails. Pricey repair as it is time consuming:

IMG_0332.JPG

Last edited:
How many miles on it?
Is it a private sale? By original owner? A 80 year old granny or a younger hoodlum riding it hard?
The 2004 through Q1 2007 have a 4-11% chance of having a torsion assembly bearing on backwards from the factory and you cannot tell externally.
The issue sometimes shows up as an oil leak around the rubber boot on the rear left side where the drive shaft connects but it could leak on the highway and not be noticed and may eventually dry up.

Ask them if the Triumph Upgrade Kit has been installed. In the first several years when the bearing disintegrated Triumph would send the kit to the dealer and they
would install the bits at Triumphs expense. One telltale sign is if the lower left rear cover does not match the engine the fix was probably done. The dealer can
run the VIN and if the kit was done by a certified shop it will show up.

If the kit was done it brings many components up to later 2007 standards. Yeah! Good to go.

If not you run the small risk the torsion damper bearing(s) could fail. It usually happened 15-25,000 miles but the record is 80,000 (me). I've heard of one at 60K and 40K.
In other words if the bike has over 30K then the odds drop significantly but not zero.
Not to scare you but unless you can do the work it is at least a US$1,000 to $3,000 repair depending on how many components you want to replace along with the bearings.

Was it parked inside with AC or left in 100 degree Aussie heat and dust storms? Check for dried rubber parts.

Early models were susceptible to Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) failures - maybe 20%. If it starts, idles evenly around 850-900 RPMs and takes off smoothly it's probably OK. If it is very low mileage and a garage queen it could have one of the crappy sensors - around US$180 + labor or you have to learn how to do it yourself (not so bad).

As others stated the detent spring was prone to breaking causing shifting issues. make sure it goes up and down all gears at various speeds smoothly (well except for
1st - prepare for a loud clunk LOL).

Anything can be fixed but its best to know up front to use as leverage in the final negotiation.
So the other things to look for are any custom mods (intake, exhaust etc.). Just for awareness and dealer may not be able to help if they break.

Other mods are seat, shocks, fork springs for readability and comfort as many people upgrade these. If it's done great but if you end up wanting/needing those enhancements expect to pay US$1,200 or more.

That's it off the top of my head. You can search this forum for other recent similar questions as a lot of people are looking at Rockets this year.

In short, if the price is right buy it but have a buffer of funds set aside. If it doesn't need repairs you'll have cash for mods, mods, mods!!

This is what happens when the damper bearing fails. Pricey repair as it is time consuming:

IMG_0332.JPG
Hi Tribal,
thanks for taking the time to respond and provide some great pointers. I looked a the R3 last night (was actually a 20014 model), it had a least 2 owners and the previous owner had said 2nd gear had failed. Couldn't start the bike as someone had started to strip it, then sold it, hence some parts were missing. It was relatively cheap ($2550 AUD), and I and thought about it and then walked away as there were too man unknowns. Now looking at some 2008-2012 models. Thanks again.
Cheers

Now I’m getting s bit worried. Went out today and unfortunately the throttle cable snapped. After we trailered home found an oil spot on trailer. I noticed oil around the gear position switch a while ago but was damp Now it’s all wet. Last I looked I didn’t see oil in the output shaft of boot.
It’s an ‘07 with 26000 miles? Where does the oil come from when these bearings fail?

IMG_0332.JPG

Now I’m getting s bit worried. Went out today and unfortunately the throttle cable snapped. After we trailered home found an oil spot on trailer. I noticed oil around the gear position switch a while ago but was damp Now it’s all wet. Last I looked I didn’t see oil in the output shaft of boot.
It’s an ‘07 with 26000 miles? Where does the oil come from when these bearings fail?

There are two bearings on the Transmission Damper & Drive Shaft (5 and 12 below).

If the rear one goes oil will leak out the rubber boot as shown above.
I defer to our resident gurus but I don't think a failed front bearing would result in oil leaking from the gear selector area.

I would clean the engine and watch the sump pan area to see if thats where its leaking. Easy fix = $15 gasket (note there are different part numbers depending on engine).

torsion assy.jpg

Back