New Shocks on the XS1100

atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
Tom and I replaced the shocks on the old XS1100 today. The cheap shocks I put on 5 years ago were toast. These are Progressive 430's, real shocks. Tome said the ride quality was waaaaaaaay better with the new vs. old.

Can you see the difference? The first picture is origianl shocks, second with the cheapo remote reservoir shocks and the last one is the Progressive 430's.
shocks 4.jpeg

Attachments

• P5280049.JPG
    P5280049.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 37
  • thumbnail (5).jpeg
    thumbnail (5).jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Shocks 2.jpeg
    Shocks 2.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Looks good, and I bet it rides and handles much better.
I had a 1980 XS1100. Loved that bike, wish I still had it. Make sure you hold on to yours.
I gave the bike to Tom with the caveat that when he was done with it, or buys another bike, it comes back to me. He said on Saturday that if he bought another bike he will have two in the garage, he loves the XS too much to give it up. Great old bikes. He also mentioned the ride quality is a whole lot better with real shocks on it after a few miles over some harsh road.

Great looking bike, you could have gotten beter handling if you had added a fork brace. I also like your Kerker exhaust, was that the tunable baffle edition? If you still have that bike I also recommend you get a jet kit from Sigma 6 to get the best pout of the carburation. With the 4 into 1 exhasut the stock jetting may be too lean. It may just be ther camera angle, but it looks like your rear preload is at minimum, do you weigh less than 50 lbs? Turn that up a couple notches and enjoy!!

1975 RD 350 bought brand new. Walked across the street from M.C.R.D. San Diego and bought it graduation day. Rode it solid for about three years. Traded in for a 1978 750 Honda. To this day still think about that little orange bike and smile.

This makes me almost miss my ol '81 XS650 Special II. I miss the kick start, and its general affable nature. It was a bit too small for me, but it was a honk to ride and had been made into a bobber, prior to that being the cool thing to do, circa 2002. If I were to get another one, it would be an 1100. A CB1000, or R/100 would also not break my heart.

Great looking bike, you could have gotten beter handling if you had added a fork brace. I also like your Kerker exhaust, was that the tunable baffle edition? If you still have that bike I also recommend you get a jet kit from Sigma 6 to get the best pout of the carburation. With the 4 into 1 exhasut the stock jetting may be too lean. It may just be ther camera angle, but it looks like your rear preload is at minimum, do you weigh less than 50 lbs? Turn that up a couple notches and enjoy!!
The bike runs like a two stroke hit 3500 RPMS and the bike will leap. I can just set there and rock it back and forth out of the two stroke mode. My GF hates me when I would do that.

Your jetting is off a bit if it's anemic below 4000. The mains don't come on till 3500 to 4000 so your pilot jet is too small. You could try fattening up the pilot screws some but that's limited by the piolot air jet. Get thee to Sigma 6 and get the right jets to make that thing honk like a freight train from idle to redline. Trust me it's worth the effort and cash.

Back