Your power numbers beg for a 55 for a start. Plus they don't have to be on there forever. I'll be puting 2 front and 3 rear tyres (or 4 Metz) on a year so if I don't like what I'm running it's only for a few months.

Mitch I think you will be in for a surprised at how a different front to the metz will be, I found when I switched to the Shinko as have quite a few others that switched to other brands that the front end will change direction faster (more flickable) I couldn't believe just how much I nearly fell over on the first corner ....there was THAT MUCH:D:D:D difference..... when you make the switch watch out you won't know yourself I can't believe how long you have put up with the crap handling the Metz give:rolleyes::D:D

best mileage???

:confused: What mileage are you all getting out of rear tires please? :confused:

ok... so I am very interested to hear what kind of mileages you guys are getting on different tires? I have only run the me880 240 50, but am seriously considering switching to the 240 55 and maybe another brand... I generally get 8-9 k miles out of the rear... twice that on the front... maybe three times? ANYWAY...

please share this invaluable data that would take me a couple years and many dollars to figure out alone. Not to mention the aggravation of putting crap rubber on my baby.

used to get about 6500 miles on a metz rear and twice for the front switched to avon cobra same mileage but better grip and better handling

There are only 3 motorcycle tyres that will fit - Metz and Avon 240/50 and Bridgestone 240/55. I've used all three and the order is most definitely and clearly Metz worst, Avon good, Bridgestone excellent. Mileage for me was 4,800 km Metz, 6,500 km Avon and 8,500 and still going strong Bridgestone. For ride and grip the Avon is much better than the Metz and the Bridgestone better than both by a country mile.

On the front the Metz was OK, Avon is brilliant and I'm so far very happy with Bridgestone. Several people swear by Shinko and a number have gone a size smaller (140/80) and say that it improves handling. A lot more choice up front.

thanks for the input guys!!

your experiences will go a long way in making my decision for this next rubber change.

hey Canberra... do you have any input on the bridgestones wet handling?

I was leaning towards the bridgestone 55 with hopes of a slight increase in fuel economy, and so far I think its the winner. (((side note: I own a 1967 bridgestone twin 175, so I'm a little sentimental about bridgestone))) :D I've put many exedras on big bikes at my shop with very happy customers, but wasn't sure how the rocket would respond to them. I have used avons on my other bikes in the past but was never impressed so I was leaning away from them. although it has been over ten years since my last avon... things may be different now? In my experience with harleys (quite a few customers) the metzler is a FAR better option over the usual dunlop and is the case with my own HD's. I get better handling and much better longevity out of the me880 over any dunlop option. it has been my experience that different bikes (styles, sizes and track/trail geometry) respond in very different ways to different tires.

as for the shinko's... ive never seen a decent one on my customers bikes... I poll my customers on everything when we are going to make a change... they are the number one expert on their own bikes... none of them have ever given a positive review of the shinko's. I have seen they dry out quick, and in turn... go away fast. Just my experience, but like I said earlier...

I believe different bikes have very different appetites for rubber.

as for the shinko's... ive never seen a decent one on my customers bikes... I poll my customers on everything when we are going to make a change... they are the number one expert on their own bikes... none of them have ever given a positive review of the shinko's. I have seen they dry out quick, and in turn... go away fast. Just my experience, but like I said earlier...

I believe different bikes have very different appetites for rubber.
Here's a positive you can log down My first Shinko lasted 9,000 km the best I got out of a Metz was 7,200km and that was wearing it down further than I like!! I only take a tyre to the wear bars unlike Richard did with that Avon (don't worry i told him to), We do a lot of wet weather riding as we are not "SunShine Bikies"
The Shinkos steer far better to the point that when I first switched to the Shinko I tipped it in to a corner and near fell over... that much faster, My riding style has always been hard on tyres but that me, I like to go in deep on the brakes a charge out hard have always ridden like that probally always will and while I love My Shinko I will be watching with interest tomorrow how the brigdestone responds to Richard(CanberraR3) input when we head of to Victoria to attend Cobbas funeral

Back