Welcome to the site from New Jersey, Captain RoxyRocket. Always good to have another another '007 owner around.

You've made a very good addition to your stable. She probably will require some preventative, updating maintenance, but at the price you probably payed that shouldn't keep you from getting it done when and as necessary and enjoying the ride for a long time to come.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey, Captain RoxyRocket. Always good to have another another '007 owner around.

You've made a very good addition to your stable. She probably will require some preventative, updating maintenance, but at the price you probably payed that shouldn't keep you from getting it done when and as necessary and enjoying the ride for a long time to come.
Before moving to California I lived in Sussex County . I used to go through Long Valley all the time. I got to ride a Rocket for the first time at Jack Trebour's years before the abruptly closed their doors.
Any particular maintenance or and issues I should know about?
I actually just had a wreck with my Rocket from the rear wheel suddenly locking up. Locked up at 55-60 and high sided. And it hurt..
I should get it back in a few weeks. Bike only had 148 miles on the clock.....

Before moving to California I lived in Sussex County . I used to go through Long Valley all the time. I got to ride a Rocket for the first time at Jack Trebour's years before the abruptly closed their doors.
Any particular maintenance or and issues I should know about?
I actually just had a wreck with my Rocket from the rear wheel suddenly locking up. Locked up at 55-60 and high sided. And it hurt..
I should get it back in a few weeks. Bike only had 148 miles on the clock.....
Sorry to hear about the crash Roxy, I take it you were not pressing the brake when it happened? I hope you heal quickly!

Bobby, how could he lock it up without pressing the brake?:confused:

RR, the rear brake on these bikes is supersized and it grabs the wheel very aggressively if it's not carefully applied, so it does require an unfamiliar rider to retrain themselves to use the old 80% front/20% rear braking ratio. Sorry to hear that this unexpected surprise slapped you in the face already. I experienced it the first time I test rode a Rocket III back in late 2004 coming off the I-80 eastbound exit onto to Rte 10 in order to return the bike to that horrific Trebour dealership, the loss of which I am deliriously happy about. I came into the double lane broad-sweeping at about 80 mph thinking that I was doing about 50. As I approached the exit's apex, I grabbed too much rear brake, locked it up and went into a brief straight line skid. Fortunately, I had dumped enough speed and was still standing the bike straight up before leaning over into the turn and the pucker/learning factor from that incident carried over for another 5 years, when I bought my own R3.

As for recommended, fixes, well, as I implied earlier you can be preemptive and take care of things before they arise or you can do them as and when failures occur, generally without risking any collateral damage.

It is highly likely that your primary TPS (throttle position sensor) will fail, but if it does , it will most likely occur at somewhere between 10-20,000 miles. It's about a $100 part and almsost the same in labor for installation and calibration. Triumph re-engineered a new and more reliable replacement (blue body vs black, I believe in the original). It's possible that Triumph might pick up the cost of the part, if you can document that you are (virtually) the original owner.

The most significant piece of preventive or corrective mechanical care for the earlier model (pre-'09) R3s is called the update kit. It is a collection of just over $200 of parts put together by Triumph to address a number of serious mechanical breakdowns or malfunctions due to poorly engineered OEM parts or the use of crappy materials in said parts. The bad news that comes along with the low cost of these parts is that they do require that the engine be removed and cracked open in order to be fully installed - silver lining - the end result is an infinitely more reliable motor that should provide you with tens of thousands of miles of reliable, worry-free performance.

Since I do not pretend to be much of a wrench and others here can explain this to you in greater detail more accurately than I'm able, I'll leave it to more qualified members here to fill you in further and connect these dots for you.

There are a good number of easy fixes and upgrades that you can do very easily yourself that will add more or better performance and greater comfort to your Rocket Captaincy. But one step at a time.

At the speed you indicated, it would be hard to imagine that you didn't get busted up to some degree from that high side. For now, rest up, heal fully & quickly and ask us any and all questions about how to derive maximum enjoyment from your new ride! You'll be a little overwhelmed with the laundry list of recommendations that's to come and the solid advice and information that will accompany them.;)

Gday and welcome, sorry to hear of your off and hope you heal quickly. Just sing out if you need anything

@RoxyRocket glad to hear you're ok enough to hop on and post!
@TriumPhil he said it locked up for no reason so I'm guessing he wasn't on the brake? Sounds more to me like the bearings or final drive. A bike that old, never ridden I'm guessing also was never lubedand everything dried out and then self destructed when he started riding it?

The lockup was definitely mechanical. Rear wheel locked ans squealed at 55-60 . I put the clutch in and it was still locked. That's when I knew I was screwed . Definitely appears drivetrain related.
Despite the ordeal I still lovethe bike. Hoping it's just a fluke.

Back