New(ish) Cruiser Rider in Maryland

Im lucky, the local shop puts them on for me. I have them break the beads loose for me then I cut both sidewalls with a drywall knife staying a inch or so away from the rim. Tire comes right off. Then a grab my trusty bolt cutters and cut the bead cable and slip the beads off. Really quite simple. Havent tried to install one on the 16 inch. I just give the tire guy 20 bucks after he slips the new one on. One of these days I'm going to buy a rim clamp machine. Used of course :) This method allows me to clean the bead areas before the install.

Im lucky, the local shop puts them on for me. I have them break the beads loose for me then I cut both sidewalls with a drywall knife staying a inch or so away from the rim. Tire comes right off. Then a grab my trusty bolt cutters and cut the bead cable and slip the beads off. Really quite simple. Havent tried to install one on the 16 inch. I just give the tire guy 20 bucks after he slips the new one on. One of these days I'm going to buy a rim clamp machine. Used of course :) This method allows me to clean the bead areas before the install.

Great to know I'm not the only one that went this route. Makes me think I just may succeed :). I cut the sidewalls with a drywall knife as well and then used a dremel to cut the bead while holding it away from the rim using a tire spoon. I'm thinking I may try tho flatten and zip tie the new tire before trying to squeeze it on. Not sure yet. I also haven't tested the method of heating up the tire first. The bike is in the garage so the tire I took off was pretty cold. Ive been keeping the new tire indoors and may even hit it with some tire warmers before trying to install it. Anyways I already got 1 nice scuff on my rim from one of these spoons :banghead: so I will hold off for now until I get some rim protectors. Anybody know how to buff out rim scratches :thumbsdown:?

Great info! I didnt know 2WP had that deal. Since we are all "quarantined" I was gonna try to swap the tires my self with some good ol' spoons. Still might if I get bored enough. I've done the oil and brake fluid already. I'll consider the lines brake lines and pads. Havent even looked at the coolant. I since I'm all torn down I might as well drain and get samco hoses. Did you get the port job done by carpenter or just the bolt ons?

the ty rap trick works really good on the tire change. You tube it.

welcome from the northern poland

frankly, riding season starts up more or less together with spring but beachcombers can ride all year around except when snowing :) hence i am jealous about florida climate

Good Evening Guys and Gals. As promised, Here we go.

1. I don't have a proper jack but I do have jack stands and foot boards installed on the rocket. So I used the kickstand as leverage and hoisted the bike onto the jack stands one side at a time. Probably the least safe method known to man but... yeah.
20200324_200410.jpg 20200319_172652.jpg

2. I decided to take the advice of other forum members and just cut the tire off and save myself some headache. Sorry no pics of breaking the bead but what I used was a 6 inch long 2x4 block and a ratchet strap. I placed the block on the bead and wrapped the ratchet strap around the block and rim. Then ratchet away until you hear a pop. Rinse and repeat.

20200319_173414.jpg 20200319_181245.jpg

3. The wheel was pretty dirty under the tire so I cleaned it up to make sure the tire will sit evenly in the bead.

20200324_200506.jpg 20200324_205659.jpg

4. I decided to use zip ties to cinch the tire down (since it is so wide and the drop in the center of the rim is not very deep). The only way to get this tire on is to get the opposite side of the tire in the center of the rim which is the lowest section of the rim. The use a lot of sweat equity.

20200324_205905.jpg 20200324_210350.jpg 20200324_213848.jpg

Attachments

• 20200324_205653.jpg
    20200324_205653.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
Back