New(ish) Cruiser Rider in Maryland

Take the rear wheel to a helpful local car tyre place, pay the man $20, and let him remove the old one and install the new one. Not all car places will do it, which is why you need a helpful one. I changed mine a couple of times, even with DS, but now I highly recommend paying a little man from the village to do it.
Where do you get your rear tire changed for $20?! I just paid $60 to a local shop here, and they asked that I not come back to them again for the next one! lol

Where do you get your rear tire changed for $20?! I just paid $60 to a local shop here, and they asked that I not come back to them again for the next one! lol

Have exactly same problem they don't want to take the job on that's why I do me own and cost me less than £100 for equipment and having two bikes will pay for itself in no time:thumbsup:

I'm down in SoMD near Solomon's Island (about an hour or so from you). I would love to go for a ride, but unfortunately have quite the honey-do list to start tackling before my youngest's college graduation party.....that is if everyone will calm down over COVID-19.....

Would definitely like to get some day trips together for the DMV area members though, lots of very nice scenery in them thar hills around here....

I had my Rocket with me when I was staying in Andover Estates while working at Calvert Cliffs. Great area.

Welcome to the forum. The rear tire can most easily be changed by a pneumatic tire machine, manually is nearly impossible due to the lack of center drop of the rim. If you find yourself cutting the tire bead to get the old rubber off you can't do that to put the new one on amigo.

Good luck.

my back tire I just changed myself was so old every part of it was COVERED in cracks!! very stiff. yet, I changed the tire with only 3 tire spoons. however, I DID have to come up with a new way to do it. you pop both beads, then remove the first one like normal, however, since the tire is so wide, you can't reach down through it to get to the other bead to pull it up and off, you have to turn the whole thing over and pop the last bead off from behind. you got to put it on the same way, from the backside, then flip it over right side up and put the last bead on like normal.

as far as jacking it up, even if you put the jack as far back as you can on the right side of the bike, way back under the muffler bracket, it will still lift up the front tire, so what I did was to put some padding on my front fender, turn the wheel to the left, and lay some heavy channel iron on the front fender like it was a ramp, then put some more weight on top of that to weigh down the front end and make the back come up.

it wasn't an ideal solution but it was what I had and it worked.
as far as balancing my tires, I've been doing this for years on all my tires, -- I use a liquid dynamic balancer. I've seen and tried Dynabeads, but I wanted something liquid in there, not solid, so I use about 3oz of brake fluid. brake fluid won't evaporate, boil, or rust anything, and it's made as a rubber preservative(rubber brake lines) so it won't hurt the tire. works perfect.

I use the flavor or spice injector from walmart and inject it down the valve hole after tire is installed, it's $5, but if you intend to use it again you have to wash the brake fluid out of it immediately after use. if you don't, it will be cracked and broken in the morning.

brake fluid just ruins it, but I've been washing mine out and have used it many times.

also, welcome to the club, from opelousas louisiana

Saludos desde Madrid (España) bienvenido al foro

Google:

Greetings from Madrid (Spain) welcome to the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Back