Test rode a new Indian Chief last summer and was disappointed, at least for my needs. I am 6'1" and 180 pounds but felt really cramped on it. My foot hung about 4-5" off the front of the floorboard and although the multi-function display had lots of good information, I couldn't see any of it due to the angle of the display on a sunny day making it impossible to see the info. Really liked the concept of the bike more than the execution. Although a custom seat might help, I didn't want to buy the bike and then see if I could make it fit. The test ride saved me some serious bucks... Nice bike but it just didn't work for me!

I like this a lot.
2016-Indian-DarkHorse-Acces.jpeg

My favorite Indian so far, The rear suspension looks suspect with those nearly horizontal shocks but at $11k it looks like a lot of machine.

I see no issues with the suspension.
It's nearly the same angle as the monoshock bikes.

I have never really concerned them with HP or TQ, but instead with physical size as compared to their own.

Personally, I think weight and power are hugely important criteria when it comes to learning to ride. There should be neither, really. In fact, if given a choice, I would put a newbie on a 50 cc offroad bike and have them scoot around on softer ground for quite a while to pick up the basics and then have them run 250 cc's or less as their first bike. That way, they could learn to handle traffic and just plain the mechanics of riding before they have to start trying to control their right hand and the temptation to go too fast.

Reasonable people can differ, but the Scout to me isn't first bike material. It's relatively compact, sure, but still weighs in at 560 lbs and has 100 horses, neither of which is great for a beginner, not if they're supposed to really learn to ride and handle the bike. Unless all they do is putt-putt along on the highway, perhaps, and do mini-drag-races at the red lights.

It hasn't been all that many years since 100 hp denoted a superbike. The laws of physics haven't changed just because horsepower numbers have kept migrating upwards and there's some "inflation" in the power numbers across the board.

Yes, I saw that new Vulcan at the IMS in NYC. It impressed me as a good looking entry level ride (post MSF course(s) and some decent practice saddle time with a smaller bike) and, to my knowledge, the first motorcycle ever offered from a manufacturer in three distinctly different ergonomic fits; a small layout, a medium setup and a large for the more stretched out rider!

Back