New Flood Lights, Turn Signal Strobes

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
I've been working on adding beefed-up turn signals and some flood lights onto the bike over the last few days, and think I've finally got everything installed and functioning. I thought I'd run my installation past you guys just for a sanity check, even though sanity may be in short supply here.

Here's the list of new parts:
Mounting hardware:

Turn Signal Strobes:

New Flood Lights:

Relays:

The flood lights and turn signal strobes have been measured at 4 amps, putting them at ~48 watts each. Each circuit has two of these units on it, 18ga wire that matches the wire coming out of the back of the units was used for the wire runs.

Installation:
I spliced wires into the turn signal connectors inside of the headlight bucket and routed them to the left side panel where they would connect to the new relays. Each signal now connects to a relay, which will trigger the blinking of the new turn signal strobes. The switched side of the relay connects directly to the battery and the strobes. I tested the lights as I was installing, and learned that if either of the turn signals is wired reversed or shorted, neither of them will work.
The new turn signal strobes on the front of the bike are located on the underside of the radiator pointed mostly down with the lenses barely visible to oncoming traffic. They are extremely bright, so I didn't want them to blind people. The attachment hardware that comes with the strobes and lights was attached to the bottom of the radiator via the bolt locations that hold the radiator shroud on. I replaced the stock bolts with some that fit the attachment hardware a little better, but maintained the same depth as the original bolts.
The new turn signal strobes on the rear of the bike are placed forward of the saddle bags, on the upper part of the rear engine guards. They point downward as well, at about the same angle as the front of the stock fiberglass saddlebags. They were coupled with one pair of the mounting hardware listed above.

The new flood lights are a much simpler install, because I wanted them on their own switch separate of the handlebar switches. They were mounted on the top of the front engine guards with the second (larger) pair of mounting hardware listed above. The wiring was run to the same side panel as the new relays for the turn signal strobes, and a switch was attached just outside of the panel. I don't particularly love the way it's installed, and may look into 3d printing a new 12v socket panel that is better at accommodating more than one switch. We'll see about that later. The switch was placed on the negative side of the circuit (not that I know that it makes any difference, it just seemed like the thing to do.) Lights work well, but may need to be adjusted to reach a little further horizontally.

I'll attach some pictures soon, but wanted to get the write-up out of the way.

These are working equipment illumination (seeing) lights in amber meant for fog or mist low light pentration or just to reduce glare in a off road work situation NOT Turn Signals. They were never intended for and are completely unsuitable as turn indicators.
The wider dished reflector lens are wide angle and the smaller cones are supposed to focus light in a tighter cones further out.
Turn Signal Strobes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPL81RG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are working equipment illumination (seeing) lights in amber meant for fog or mist low light pentration or just to reduce glare in a off road work situation NOT Turn Signals. They were never intended for and are completely unsuitable as turn indicators.
The wider dished reflector lens are wide angle and the smaller cones are supposed to focus light in a tighter cones further out.
Turn Signal Strobes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPL81RG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your input. I've reviewed traffic laws in my area.

PICKTURRS
IMG_20200828_122026.jpg IMG_20200828_121953.jpg IMG_20200828_121947.jpg IMG_20200828_121933.jpg IMG_20200828_121921.jpg

Back