jackrotten

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
My old battery went to **** and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm wanting to swap to a LiFePo4 battery (I live in an always warm/hot desert). Any recommendations? What are the minimum cold cranking amps required for this bike? I've found a few that will fit but they seem to be kind of in the low CCA range.

Currently eyeing a Mighty Max YTX16-BS 12.8v 14ah 360CCA LiFePo4 but trying to see if there are any particular dissenting opinions.

Last edited:
Not great when sitting in the cold (12C or colder).

I had (similar) one and it needed a jump when cold. This was with my Rocket III Roadster though.

If you never see cool temps overnight or for long periods, you should be fine. It might be fine with the Rocket 3 too.

Just some reference for you to look into.

Also make sure that you can use a standard battery charger with it, some you can't.

Not great when sitting in the cold (12C or colder).

I had (similar) one and it needed a jump when cold. This was with my Rocket III Roadster though.

If you never see cool temps overnight or for long periods, you should be fine. It might be fine with the Rocket 3 too.

Just some reference for you to look into.

Also make sure that you can use a standard battery charger with it, some you can't.
I've got a battery tender that is made for both acid and LiFePo4 batteries already so I'm covered on that front.

Not much to upgrade other than the hole in your wallet.
Just get a decent battery from battery plus near you.
Lipo are good for ultra light motos. You ride a tank... pointless to waste $ on it imo

I put in a Motobatt MHTX16 hybrid lithium / AGM. It outputs the correct voltage (unlike most lithium batteries) and can be charged with a standard charger.

I put in a Motobatt MHTX16 hybrid lithium / AGM. It outputs the correct voltage (unlike most lithium batteries) and can be charged with a standard charger.
I stand opposite ground when it comes to lithium ion with anything bigger than cellphone lion battery

The only time batteries are a issue is ither put of age... neglect or serious adventure riders with 300 amps of drawing farkles ....
100% pointless unless you might break a speed record or are streaming a satilite feed in the amazon rainforest
Uou may also end up damaging your $$$ battery by not having a proper charging system for it. It's not as cut and dry as just add 13 to 14 volts to it. The life will last 10% of what it should of you do that. You need the correct variable charging for it to not only monitor the battery and all its cells but also charge it correctly depending on its state.
You might want to look into RC lipo charging systems and start from there. There is a reason us RC guys and gals are REQUIRED to transport and hold and charge and discharge lipos in a fire safe container.
If you dont ride for a few weeks you just killed your lipo, it must be discharged into a storage state while not in use ( 24 hours) is ideal. But a few days isnt too bad.
This is why having a proper monitor is nessasary to even charge and ballance cells.
Hook up a $300 lipo to pur old rockets and I promise you will have a bloated dead battery ready for a serious fire in less than a year vs just going and getting a agm or wet battery for under $100.

Last edited:
This xmas will be 4 years on my antigravity battery. Never an issue, has set unused for over a year, the other 3 in use 9 months, cold no problem, cranking never an issue. Knowing what its doing at all times, priceless. The best battery i have ever purchased! This is my experience with an antigravity battery, all battery’s like anything else are not the same, this battery has done as advertised.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0037.png
    IMG_0037.png
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0042.png
    IMG_0042.png
    25 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0041.png
    IMG_0041.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0040.png
    IMG_0040.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0039.png
    IMG_0039.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 18
The only time batteries are a issue is ither put of age... neglect or serious adventure riders with 300 amps of drawing farkles ....
100% pointless unless you might break a speed record or are streaming a satilite feed in the amazon rainforest
Uou may also end up damaging your $$$ battery by not having a proper charging system for it. It's not as cut and dry as just add 13 to 14 volts to it. The life will last 10% of what it should of you do that. You need the correct variable charging for it to not only monitor the battery and all its cells but also charge it correctly depending on its state.
You might want to look into RC lipo charging systems and start from there. There is a reason us RC guys and gals are REQUIRED to transport and hold and charge and discharge lipos in a fire safe container.
If you dont ride for a few weeks you just killed your lipo, it must be discharged into a storage state while not in use ( 24 hours) is ideal. But a few days isnt too bad.
This is why having a proper monitor is nessasary to even charge and ballance cells.
Hook up a $300 lipo to pur old rockets and I promise you will have a bloated dead battery ready for a serious fire in less than a year vs just going and getting a agm or wet battery for under $100.
I decided to go with an AGM battery. It is a newer gen rocket, but it probably has the same charging system as the old rockets. After seeing the rather poor quality of the internals of these newer rockets, I think I'll just roll with AGM and avoid any problems.

I decided to go with an AGM battery. It is a newer gen rocket, but it probably has the same charging system as the old rockets. After seeing the rather poor quality of the internals of these newer rockets, I think I'll just roll with AGM and avoid any problems.
safe wise choise that will last a long time if you have a decent maintainer for long periods of sitting around.

Back