need to make a decision.....

bill widrig

.060 Over
Ride
some dirt bikes for the kid and a 81 xs 1100
well its looking all but a guaranty that we will be ordering our rocket in sept..

wife is getting tired of being on the back of this xs11...(pounding her into submission on the back of this thing is working:sneaky:)

we can either order the 2014 roadster in sept...it will be about 3 weeks till delivered including the extras we want

or i can take the 2014 touring they have in stock

question is how comfortable is the roadster for longer trips say a good all day ride..comparedto the touring

i know i will be comfy on r3r but how bout the wife? should the suspension be upgraded right away or can it wait?

how bout the pillion seat? we want to use it for some touring type rides too so comfort is a bit of a concerne

bill:
Never ridden a T, but we don't find our Roadster particularly comfy. Powerful? Yes. Fun? Quite. But not comfy. It works well for us, but we don't make extended rides or tour on it; and we virtually always ride solo.

We think the Roadster passenger pillion is laughable (except any passenger sitting on it for more than a bit will NOT be laughing). We think your mate will object to the passenger compartment pretty quick.

Of course, these shortcomings can be righted with aftermarket goodies.

The Roadster will be more fun, but perhaps the T is more suited to the type of use you anticipate.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.

Let me put it like this. We sold our Goldwing to buy the Rocket. (Standard back seat like Roadster.) I told my wife she was going from a Barcalounger to a Bar Stool. The standard/Roadster back seat is a joke. I spent $600 redoing it twice to make it "Ok" but not great.

First attempt. Had the seat pan widen 5 inches and lengthened about 3 inches then re-foamed and covered. Better but not good enough.

070.JPG

Second and current seat redone by Rick Mayer. Orthopedic foam and a leather cover. Had him do both seats. MUCH better and more rideable,

but still not a Goldwing back seat.

BTW: This is my 500th post. Do I get a prize ?

DSCN2077.JPG

Bit like the riders seat .. if the person sitting on it is fat or obese no seat will be comfy/ foam can only take so much weight before you are sitting on the seat pan .. we find the Triumph Classic seat is plenty comfortable for us on big rides/touring.

That's why i keep the RK it's more two up friendly.. you never see two riders on a race horse...;) I'm set up for two but it becomes a balancing act at times.

...JMTC

Last edited:
I'm sorry @TRIIICK. In the hands of a capable rider the Rocket most certainly does not steer like a truck in the twisties. Ask the 2 blokes who chased me up Cradle Mountain in Tassie last year. One on a BMW GS and the other on an SV 1000; neither could catch me. Not saying the Rocket's as easy to throw around as some others, and there are plenty that are faster, but if you're up to the twisties, so is the bike. Just needs some practice; don't blame the bike.

G'day Bill ,I have an 2011 R3T ,the stock seat has a gel pillion seat and my wife has been for many years a regular pillion passenger on the numerous bikes I have had and my previous ride was a Suzuki C109RT boulevard (the touring )of the 1800cc M109 the C109 had a decent pillion seat and floor boards for the pillion as well as a simular back rest ,but the Gel seat as well as the ergonomics of the R3T is far better in her opinion ,it is a comfortable ride for several 500 to 600Klm days ,once derestricted the Touring makes a great powerful touring Bike.

Back